Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
New member here. I've owned my 02 Impala LS for about 6 months now and I've had a ton of work done regarding the trans. First I did a flush and it didnt work so I finally caved and got a "rebuild". The guy that I had rebuild it fixed my issue at first which was that it wouldn't go into OD. After receiving my car TWO MONTHS LATER, I still have a problem with the tranny. I have the dreaded 1811 code. I've been reading forums all day and I am considering which seems to be about a 90% success rate fix for the 1811 code. I want to put a medium shift kit on her and see how it goes.

I'm looking for some assistance in this seeing as that I've never done tranny work. I have seen a couple links with how-to pictures but I don't trust myself. I'm from Flint, MI and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out? Obviously you will be compensated.

Thanks!!!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
A tune from overkill motorsports will raise your transmision fluid pressure, may help. Cost $200 installs in under 30 min

:: Overkill Motorsports ::

Reactions: hockey593

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I will look into it. Do you know anything about shift kits from zzperformance or transgo? I've read a lot about them working with the 4T65E trannies especially....but it just seems too good to be true.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I know we have had a few members have issues with ZZP, TEP is who most of the people around here deal with when it comes to the transmissions. Harsh Shift, P1811

·
Registered
432 Posts
Getting a cheapy tune will only bandaid your issue, go buy the solenoids and fix it the right way. For $200 that the "tune" would cost you. You could pay someone to replace the solenoids for you, maybe a lil more but it'll fix the problem the right way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely understand where you're coming from SuperDave. I never heard of the overkill method before but it seems interesting. I think I will go with the Transgo kit. I tried searching the forms but couldnt find a single thread on the particular kit and some installation techniques. Is it hard removing the tranny pan?

·
Registered
432 Posts
You can make your own shift kit, I did for every wbody in the family. Probably a total of 6 or 7 shift kits made, can be done for under $10. I'll see if I can get the part numbers for you, pretty much all you need is another 1-2 accumulatoshift spring and four spacers from lowels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would appreciate that greatly. Can't beat 10 bucks. And about the tune...do you think it'd be worth it? I know you can get custom tailored ones. Is there anyway to do that for a decent price? ($100-$150)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Its up to you, its your money. I've never been a fan of the cookie cutter tune. If you dont have anyone local that can tune then by all means go for it, better then nothing.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The dude rebuilt the tranny with the old solenoids? I hope that was reflected in the price...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, he told me that "new trannies take a while to break in" he thinks. He isn't sure why it's still shifting funny. I paid him a total of 1,100 dollars with 2 visits to his shop. The only he really fixed for me was the tranny not going into OD.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Well, with the old solenoids it isn't going to break IN, its just going to break.

·
Registered
432 Posts
For a medium kit you'll need to pick up 4 1/4"I.D. x 3/8O.D. metal spacers, 2 of which are 1/2" long and the other two you'll need to be 3/4" long.

For a hard kit you'll need to pick up 4 1/4"I.D. x 3/8O.D. metal spacers, 2 of which are 3/4" long and the other two you'll need to be 1" long.

After you get those, you'll need to locate another 1-2 accumulator shift spring. That replaces the the 3-4 shift spring as it is a firmer coil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I honestly can't seem to get the truth out the guy who did it for me. So do you guys think I should replace the PCM and do the shift kit together?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I honestly can't seem to get the truth out the guy who did it for me. So do you guys think I should replace the PCM and do the shift kit together?
I would have that guy replace your solenoids free of charge. Anyone who rebuilds these 4t65-e's without replacing the solenoids is ripping you off big time. Half the parts cost is in the solenoids, dang near.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
x2!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately this guy wont answer my texts or respond to my calls. Good thing the old lady's dad is a lawyer I guess....If it helps I got 4 codes regarding this mess:
P0135 O2 Sen B1S1
P0300 Missfire
P0742 TCC Cir Stuck On
P1811 Max Adapt Long Shift with a bad EGR tube

Do you think the EGR tube is screwing it up as well or does it lie within the TCC circuit and the 1811 code?

·
Registered
62 Posts
just something that others may experience, i bought my car at 59k and it appears to already have a trans rebiuild done but cant confirm, and i have put a zzp shift kit in and it works alright i think it could be better but anyways, my tps sensor broke, and i replaced that and then it was shifting very slow, like slower than stock, same incident couple weeks ago when i pulled my top end apart and the car sat battery disconnected for a few days and all sensors unplugged, car shifted very slow, but its like it had to relearn how to shift, weird it seems, maybe i have something going on and my fluid only has 20k on it, but im not to worried i havent dug into it, but when i get my trans built i will see if he found anything wrong inside or with the accumulator and my shift kit, this may not help you in any way but its one of those weird things that i have had happen and it fixed its self for now, good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah man let me know if the shift kit is screwed up. Might save me a couple bucks if it's already shot.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Did you adjust the new tps?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts