Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this was dumb but a few weeks ago i was with a friend on a open highway in my dads impala. i dont normally do this but the time was perfect so i floored it. i very quickly got into three digits but at exactly 113 mph i saw the dashboard dispay (the screen that is under the speedometer that tells you your avg speed ect.) say "113 mph maximum speed" and then the car slowed itself down. I immediatly knew what i did was stupid but i was just wondering if when my dad gets his next oil change he will find out about this. I didnt know if the oil changing place's computer would tell them this or if thery could legally tell my dad about this. might be a dumb question but im nervous. thanks.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
depending on yr/model you might be able to reset oil light (aong others) thru the radio
power radio off, hold DISP (5 sec+)
should pull up a settings menu if you have RDS

IIRC the gov was
108 on the 3.4
113-118 on the 3.8
128ish on the SS

·
Registered
7 Posts
re: Maximum speed setting on chevy impala

I'm not sure where your Dad gets his oil changed, but the last time I was at a Jiffy Lube/Valvoline/Quaker State/etc oil change place the employees did not access the car's computer. So it's likely that "they" (the oil change place) will never know about the high-speed driving.

However, the Impala's PCM does record the maximum speed the vehicle has ever driven, and that data is accessible with GM's scan tool, the Tech 2. I learned this from two fellow mechanics, each of whom are both 30+ year GM Master Technicians.

If for some reason the car begins having drivability issues and your Dad takes it to the Chevy dealer, the computer WILL tell the technician that the vehicle had been driven to 113mph.

So, if there is any engine damage and repairs are needed the dealer WILL tell your Dad that the car was driven 113mph and they WILL say that as a result of that racing the repairs will NOT be covered under the vehicle's warranty.

This happened at the dealership my friends worked. A man brought his car in for not running well and once it was hooked up to the Tech 2 the PCM revealed it had been driven over 100+mph to the max limit. It turned out the man's son had been street racing at night and damaged the engine. The man had to buy a new engine out of his pocket because the racing caused the engine damage to NOT be covered under warranty.

I know this isn't want you wanted to hear, but I wanted to let you know. Best of luck!

i know this was dumb but a few weeks ago i was with a friend on a open highway in my dads impala. i dont normally do this but the time was perfect so i floored it. i very quickly got into three digits but at exactly 113 mph i saw the dashboard dispay (the screen that is under the speedometer that tells you your avg speed ect.) say "113 mph maximum speed" and then the car slowed itself down. I immediatly knew what i did was stupid but i was just wondering if when my dad gets his next oil change he will find out about this. I didnt know if the oil changing place's computer would tell them this or if thery could legally tell my dad about this. might be a dumb question but im nervous. thanks.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Big brother in the car. Good thing I own my car...and have no speed limiter...or warranty. Hmmmm...
x2!

i thought the only thing that gets recorded is the 5 seconds bfore the airbags are deployed?

wouldnt a tech2 be able to erase the topspeed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
gotten mine past 120

i have a 2001 base 3.4 and i buried the needle so i didnt even know anything about a regulator i got the speedometer almost straight down id guess 130

1 - 6 of 6 Posts