Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang-

Went to Minneapolis (from Fargo, ND) this weekend to see my Vikings beat the Packers!!!

Anyway...on the trip, I decided this car must have the worst radio reception I've ever experienced (am/fm operation)!
* It's an '08 LTZ with sunroof. Currently don't have XM or On-Star active, but these worked fine previously.
* AM radio should be pulling-in stations better.
* Seems like FM is good when I'm UNDERNEATH a tower...:WTF:
* I remember the windshield antenna's from back in the 70's/80's, and thought those sucked too!
* The rear defroster wires work fine.

>>>> SO-
Is installing a mast antennae feasible, and/or been done by anyone?!
Can anything be done to check/improve existing rear-window wired setup?!

Faron

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I just hate mast antennas. The reception is sub par, but I would just activate xm before having a mast antenna again.

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comment!

My reception in town is fine though as I said. I just lose stations too soon when out of town.

....and it's damn flat country up here!

Faron

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
^^ Yeah I know my comment was not all that useful, but I wanted to let you know somebody did care. :)

My FM has been worse in my several most recent vehicles, including one with a mast antenae. Without concrete assurances that reception would in fact improve, from somebody with a like vehicle, there is no way i would drill and install one. Maybe as an experiment see if you can get a magnetic mast to try out before committing to installing one. See if it helps.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Thanks for the comment!

My reception in town is fine though as I said. I just lose stations too soon when out of town.

....and it's damn flat country up here!

Faron
Does 60 - 80 miles from the radio tower sound about right when the loss of FM radio starts to fade out?
If so this is about normal for in glass mount antennas.
Masts antennas will pull in signal for a extra 10 to 30 miles on a good day.

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome suggestions guys...Thank You!

463-
Yeah, your distance-suggestions are about right.
60 miles is about my limit for decent FM reception up here 90% of the time...:bang: !!

Guess I'll have to sign-up for XM the next time they have one of those $25/6mo. offers!

Faron

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Also depends on power of the radio station and what directions they shot their signals.

Reactions: Faron79

·
Super Moderator
10,785 Posts
Hey my windshield ant works fine :yahoo:

Ya ya OK I'm only 20 miles from Vancouver :wink:

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lovin' that '83 dude!

Is your "actual" antennae on the upper right of that windshield...the "T"-shaped unit...:wink::giggle: ?!?!!

Didn't think I'd notice did'ja???!!!:wink:

Faron

·
Super Moderator
10,785 Posts
It's a T

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh...my bad...:wink:

How far does it stick above your roofline?
Looks like about a 1/4"...:giggle::lol: ?!?!?

Faron

·
Super Moderator
10,785 Posts
Above the roof line ???? It's imbeded in the glass , runs across the windshild about 2 inches from the top , then down the center to the firewall. Windshild was replaced 7 yeras ago , same as original , works OK for an invisable antenna :eek:k3:

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Too funny!

If you didn't already know....I was making a dumb joke about the power-line pole in the background...sorry!

>>> I can hear the crickets chirping now...<<<:wink:

Yep...I remember those wire-windshield "T"'s in the 70's/early-80's on some of our GM stuff!

Faron

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Now that I understand the joke, LOL!!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,785 Posts
Yep I got it , and it does cause the car to lean a bit :lol:
and I get better reception if a couple of birds sit on it

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Yep I got it , and it does cause the car to lean a bit :lol:
and I get better reception if a couple of birds sit on it
Walk softly and carry a big POLE:giggle: that sound like something I have heard somewhere

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wellllllll now.....I see potential for this thread to deteriorate in-a-hurry now...:giggle: !

I know Canadians do things differently, but, come on....it can take up to FOUR BIRDS....Sheesh :wink: !

Faron

·
Super Moderator
10,785 Posts
I know Canadians do things differently, but, come on....it can take up to FOUR BIRDS....Sheesh :wink: !

Faron
Ya but that also doubles the amount of shit on your windshield :idea:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts