Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me whether or not a 2012 Impala LS is compatible to have a manual transmission rather than an automatic?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
In short, no.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
too soon to tell but like king said right now NO

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It has been done ONCE that I know of with a 7th gen, never that I know of with an 8th, let alone a 2012. It takes lot of fab work, god only knows how much with that new of engine design...

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
the getrag would never hold up to the power of the lfx v6
and idk if it possible to bolt it up

You would have to use a f40 trans out of a g6 which is luckily front wheel drive but has the ly7 in it
but i think the ly7 and lfx should be the same as far as bolting up a transmission goes

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
'Manual' and 'Impala' are two words that don't really go well together anymore.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There were not many W-body vehicles produced with manual transmissions to begin with. I remember seeing a couple of Luminas around the early 90s with them, but they were almost always paired with the horrible 3.4 Twin Dual Cam V6. I have driven one of those Luminas which was about 1-2 years old when I worked at a Chevy dealership, and personally thought the shift linkage was sloppy and not very well-designed. If manual transmissions were more widely available it would be a simple matter of swapping parts from a donor car, but the W-body has changed considerably over the years, subframes are even different. I always thought the Impala would be a fun car with a manual, but manual transmissions are becoming rarer as time goes on. Honestly, if you want a manual transmission that badly, it would be cheaper in the long run to sell the Impala and buy something that came with a manual. Unless you have a LOT of money to burn and are not at all concerned about resale value.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts