Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Brand new here - and brand new to restoring vehicles.

Looking at restoring a stock 6cyl 67 Biscayne after the weather is done being crummy. The car has been stored fairly well and the body is nice - the engine runs and everything. To get it road worthy, all I really need to do is change the oil, check the gaskets, order a couple front drums and she should be good to roll.

I have a long laundry list of things I want to do after I finish the short list of must do.

The big one is converting the manual steering to something a little more modern. I'd like anybody who drives it to feel safe and comfortable parking and what not. This is an area I know very little about - and everything I've read on various sites hints that it's no simple task. I've started looking at the Borgeson conversion kits - but I can't even seem to get a straight answer on whether or not they make one that fits this beauty. Has any one done a conversion? If so - any information, guidance, prayers, etc you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!:eek:k3::eek:k3:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great - thanks for the response!

What's the best way to go about procuring such a thing? Junkyard? Aftermarket? OEM? Google searches keep leaving me with more questions than answers.

Would power steering from a 67 impala work?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
535 Posts
You could go used or rebuilt. I believe '65 to '70 is the same, but check with your local parts store on it. Either way, you will still need a Power Steering Pitman Arm to go with it, which is only available used.

You could also check aftermarket for a comparison, but in my opinion, I would go original as mentioned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts