Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering putting the 2015 Malibu LTZ 2LZ 5 spoke rims on my 2016 Impala LTZ. Bolt patterns for both look to be the same at 5 x 120mm. Offset on Malibu is 41mm, Impala is 45mm.

Anyone know if this swap will work or not?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I am considering putting the 2015 Malibu LTZ 2LZ 5 spoke rims on my 2016 Impala LTZ. Bolt patterns for both look to be the same at 5 x 120mm. Offset on Malibu is 41mm, Impala is 45mm.

Anyone know if this swap will work or not?
Mr Blackwell (gotta love that handle :) ) :

Using https://www.wheel-size.com/size/chevrolet/ :

For a 2016 Impala (new body style), the parameters are:
5x120mm, center bore= 66.9 mm, and thread size = M14 x 1.5mm

For a 2015 Malibu, I get:
5x120mm, center bore= 67.1 mm, thread size= M14 x 1.5mm

Both the Malibu and the new Impala share the epsilon2 platform, so I would expect the wheels to match up. Both show 5x120 and M14x1.5, but the center bore numbers don't gibe.

You may need some centering rings (ie, hubcentric rings). My only concern is that, to get from 66.9 to 67.1 mm requires a paper thin ring, so I'm not sure that's viable. Furthermore, every wheel I find for the Malibu seems to have a different center bore listed, so I'm not sure which numbers to trust yet.

To be clear, these wheels center on the wheel hub, so it's important they match, or use a proper adapter. It's not like the old days where, on many cars, the wheels were positioned on center by the studs.

And it could be that both those numbers were mangled by some data entry clerk who doesn't understand conversion, rounding and significant digits, meaning they may actually represent the same value :(

As for the offset, I wouldn't worry about 4mm difference. That's a ~sixth of an inch. The variations in tire width will probably be greater than that.

For a first pass, I'd say they are compatible. I'll keep poking around and, if I find some reassuring data on the center bore, I'll post back.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doug -

So close, but yet so far...

Now I just have to imagine how they will look before I buy a set!

Thanks again for the information

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you ever thought of putting 2013 Buick GS wheels on your Impala ? I have been riding on mine for a year except winters and really love them with zero rubbing at all, also get lots of looks when I pull into the GM dealers hahaha

Darren as soon as I figure out how to attach a picture I will...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortunetly this site is one of the hardest to upload pictures too. Trying to figure it out besides url uploads ?
will try to upload.
Darren

1 - 13 of 13 Posts