Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just got this car this past Saturday, I am new to Chevys and the Belair its self. I have always wanted one and I do a lot of work myself so I am pretty good at figuring stuff out. The said car is a 62 Belair with a 235 in it. Here is the thing, when I got the car the previous owner had the coil hardwired to the battery and would pull the battery cable off to cut the car. It had the black wire from the volt reg going directly to the battery and a wire from the generator to the battery and to the ignition. The ignition is not hooked up to the coil for obvious reasons. They found it more expensive to replace the ignition rather then rig it up I guess. Anyways i put the coil on a toggle and took the black wire from the volt reg to the toggle to be able to kill the car from inside. I obviously did this to make it drivable and movable for the next few days.
I know it needs to be done right and I have every intention on doing so, but right now the generator is not charging the battery so yesterday it went dead. Do I need to put the black wire from the voltage reg back to the battery? Could that be why the battery is not charging? Also how can I wire it up to an ignition switch again? Does anyone know why the would wire the generator directly to the ignition? Does all the current from the voltage reg go through that small black wire??? Please help with any input you may have. Thank you!

PS I am already looking at getting an EZ wiring kit for it, just deciding if I want to swap with a 350 or keep the original 235

·
Registered
24 Posts
1st off I would search online for a downloadable wiring schematic. Don't feel bad I always end up with electrical problems from previous owners. I have a 93 Chevy FS Blazer with half an alarm in it cuz I tore the rest out because it thought I was stealing it and the owner lost the key fob. He hardwired the alarm into it so most light wires go through the alram. Joker. But anyway yes since it has an Amp guage the generator has to run through it and then to the generator. Thats why they went to Voltometers. I am pretty sure sometimes with all the current running through it they would start on fire. I am not sure what guage wire it should be though. For the ignition just get the schematic and trace the wires and hook up new ones if need be. Then you can also see what else is Jerry rigged together. Have fun.:eek:k3: and me I like my old inliners. Unless you want cheap easy power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New wiring harness solution

If you are thinking about a wiring harness for your car, I installed an American Autowire harness that was easy to do and it helped with reliability issues about 1000%! With old 60's iron the wiring harness's are so chopped up and the wires are so brittle, it really makes sense to re-do the harness.

Have a great day!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts