Impala Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've lurked here from Houston ever since I had my 99 Regal GS. I had it lightly modded with 3.4 s/c pulley, cai, full headers and overkill tune. Sadly a drunk driver shortened it's life. I miss the instant kill mode of the l67. Had a 3.5 2008 Impala and now traded it for a '15 Impala Limited. The 3.6 is so much better. It's a real shame there aren't any inexpensive replacements for the l67 family that are easy to work on/mod, while retaining the family friendly sedan look. The lfx seems like it has potential. I've seen promising results from some members. It seems the big question is how strong the transmission is (a fear any fwd L67 owner knows about). And, it seems not one has taken the time to offer a built transmission.
So far, my car is stock. I am thinking if a cone filter. I've noticed the tubing has a bunch of sensors that I've read can be picky to how they're paired to the hose. Since I don't want to dump $300 (yet) on a CAI kit, could I just saw the plastic tube that connects to the air box and clamp the cone filter on?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,798 Posts
Welcome to the forum :beer:don't be shy post some pics :eek:k3:

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I personally don't like any of those "cone filter/CAI " thingies as I really have my doubts that any of them are any good.
There are those that say it makes a big difference but I am skeptical. I have seen some info where doing what your thinking of doing can cause rough idle, engine codes etc.

That being said.

If your determined to try and get more air into the engine than it can suck in now, then, remove your existing air box, get a small 1 inch or 3/4 inch hole saw and drill some holes into the dirty side of the box in front of the filter.
I really don't think that cutting that pipe will serve you well and may very well bugger up what can be an expensive piece to replace that you will have to source someplace should it not work.

This is my opinion only and there will be guys that say do it and it will make a huge difference and all that. And that is "their" opinion.

Post some pictures of your car now you know how to resize,,,,,, and again............ welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Glad you joined from being a lurker. :)

·
Premium Member
18,508 Posts
Welcome! :beer: I have drilled the holes and put a drop in K&N. That was good enough for my 2000 Impala, when I had it...It's entirely up to you!

Now get me some PIKCHERZ!!:nerd

Good to see you not doing this anymore...... :lurk:

:D

pics....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to the forum :beer:don't be shy post some pics :eek:k3:
Maybe once I get it detailed. The first thing I did was buy brand new front brakes and rotors. Stock were too squishy. I purchased some expensive semi-metallic pads and they work very, very well. I often find myself breaking too early. At low speeds, you can lightly press the pedal and after about a second or so, it just grabs and stops. But, they're also very, very dirty. Just after about 1,000 miles it looked like I had gunmetal rims. Other then that, it's your average looking Crystal Red Impala.

Welcome to the forum.

I personally don't like any of those "cone filter/CAI " thingies as I really have my doubts that any of them are any good.
There are those that say it makes a big difference but I am skeptical. I have seen some info where doing what your thinking of doing can cause rough idle, engine codes etc.

That being said.

If your determined to try and get more air into the engine than it can suck in now, then, remove your existing air box, get a small 1 inch or 3/4 inch hole saw and drill some holes into the dirty side of the box in front of the filter.
I really don't think that cutting that pipe will serve you well and may very well bugger up what can be an expensive piece to replace that you will have to source someplace should it not work.

This is my opinion only and there will be guys that say do it and it will make a huge difference and all that. And that is "their" opinion.

Post some pictures of your car now you know how to resize,,,,,, and again............ welcome to the forum.
From the threads I've read, people got the codes and rough idle when they replaced the full tube which probably caused the sensor locations to be off causing the issues. I wouldn't be messing with that (yet, once the warranty is up, it's game on and I'm going shopping). The cone filters do increase flowand add some HP. It also makes the car sound nice. Did I mention the cone filter is free (RIP Regal GS)? :eek:k3:
I'll probably see if I can find an air box from the junk yard and mutilate it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Welcome... As a former 01 GTP owner, I can sympathize with you on the feel of the supercharger and the instant hit it provides. The 3.6 in the Impala is no slouch but right now there is not much in the way of engine mods. Headers are not possible because the manifolds are basically built into the heads. So a catback will be more for sound than power, as it pretty much was with the older W body cars. Overkill has a pretty good setup for the 3.6 right now, all designed to work together... Intake, throttle body, intake spacer, tuning... The Addco 639 sway bar fits, as does the ZZP strut tower braces. BMR suspension pieces work too. Overall, in my opinion, the Impala is worlds better than what we wanted our grand prixs and regals to be, minus the blower.

The 6 speed automatic is supposedly built much better than the 4 speeds we've all grown to hate. Don't know if anyone has pushed its limits in the Impala yet. I don't care for the shift programming but that is a tune away from being perfect.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome... As a former 01 GTP owner, I can sympathize with you on the feel of the supercharger and the instant hit it provides. The 3.6 in the Impala is no slouch but right now there is not much in the way of engine mods. Headers are not possible because the manifolds are basically built into the heads. So a catback will be more for sound than power, as it pretty much was with the older W body cars. Overkill has a pretty good setup for the 3.6 right now, all designed to work together... Intake, throttle body, intake spacer, tuning... The Addco 639 sway bar fits, as does the ZZP strut tower braces. BMR suspension pieces work too. Overall, in my opinion, the Impala is worlds better than what we wanted our grand prixs and regals to be, minus the blower.

The 6 speed automatic is supposedly built much better than the 4 speeds we've all grown to hate. Don't know if anyone has pushed its limits in the Impala yet. I don't care for the shift programming but that is a tune away from being perfect.

LOL someone needs to bite the bullet and add FI already. Maybe then, once the transmission blows they can have zzp/overkill/thrasher look at it and design a better one.
If I get my raise I requested, maybe I can be the crazy one to do it. :devil:

·
Registered
699 Posts
I say go for it!! But TEP might be a better choice for a trans build...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts