Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, been a lurker for awhile but this is my first post.

While driving today doing nothing other than steady gas, my 95 caprice started loosing power and misfiring with popping from under the hood. When I came to a stoplight, the car couldnt even move under its own power when I hit the gas. I was able to idle to a parking lot and it cleared up enough to drive to the gas station. I took the gas cap off and there was a lot of pressure in the tank that released when I took the cap off. More than any other vehicle I have ever seen this happen to. I filled up and had maybe 2-3 gallons left. The car ran pretty good after that, but maybe not perfect. Any ideas what happened? It has 78,000 on the odometer. The check engine light did not come on either.

Ideas? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today was the first and only time it has done it. I just recently bought the car and have only put about 400 miles on it, but has run strong up until today. I dont know when the last time the ignition was serviced, but the plug wires dont look new. I will pull a plug or 2 this weekend and check their condition.

I just wonder why there was so much pressure in the gas tank. The gas cap is an aftermarket Stant cap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
At 78,000 miles you minus well do a fuel injection cleaning and tune up. Do you know the owner before you go the SS. Pressure in the gas tank is normal but would be nice if someone could chime in on this one. Kind of hard to say what it is.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
You ran the tank VERY low if you only had 2-3 gallongs left. That is bad for many reasons since the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel and lack of fuel leads to premature pump failure as well as the pump sucking up anything at the bottom of the tank due to it being starved, this may lead to the screen picking up enough junk to clog it or at least reduce its effectiveness, causing the car to starve and almost die/lose power. At the very least, change the fuel filter before going elsewhere.

And 78,000 miles is not alot....most of these cars go over 100,000 before needing basic tune up items.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just had it out again today, and I have not had the problem since fill up. I pulled out a plug and am pretty sure they are indeed the originals. They were made by AC Delco and had small round tips on both electrodes that we whitish in color. The insulator was a dark tan.

When are tunesups normally done? I was thinking of doing the cap and rotor with a water pump, but if I can go a few more miles I'd REALLY like to. At least wait until spring when its warmer and longer daylight hours.

I'd really like to find some decent budget mods and have some fun with it.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Keep going till it starts getting poor gas mileage or begins to run rough.... The factory stuff is usually good for around 100,000 miles...many times it goes far beyond that. I will tell you this, do not use a cheap opti when replacing it and since opti and waterpump will be out, replace the 3 seals so you dont have a headache down the road.

Also stick to the ACDelco plugs. When you are ready to do this work, ask the guys here about simple mods, we have all done them and can all offer some insight and instructions to better help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well this last tank, I got 14 mpg. But since the car is still new to me, I have been mashin' the gas pedal more than I would normally playing around. As of right now, the car is completely stock except the drop in K&N filter in the stock airbox.

The car has also been lowered with the summit racing hotchkis spring setup, but it has the sensa-trac shocks on it. The car wallows more than a fat girl heading to Mc'Donalds. I can wait to swap them with a set of bilsteins.

Would it be time to replace major suspension items at this mileage? How about the U-Joints?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it was misfiring would check engine light came on and would blink every time it misfired. Cuz i had the same problem except it would happen on a regulaur basis long story short it ended up being the lifter on 1st cylinder collapsed and valve was not opening.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I can almost promise it is not a lifter at this mileage.....Just stay on track with what we are discussing or you might get side stepped by other opinions.. As for your suspension, at this age it is time to check it out and pay close attention to the idler arm and center link. Also make sure they check tie rods and ends,ball joints and all bushings. Main things are usually idler arm and center link.

·
Registered
8 Posts
U would know if it was the lifter!

I have a 1996 Impala SS and the lifter collapsed it would always be misfiring and your check engine would be constinetly winking at you so and it only had about 89,000 miles on it at the time. First thing i would check is the OPTI and then maybe pull valve covers to make sure all your nuts are tight on the rods other than that I don't know what to tell you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts