Impala Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a simple question to be asked how reliable are the engines in re 94 caprice lt1 police cars? 110k miles on the engines is that a lot for the engine or is it nothing ? I know about the 5.7 liter I currently own a 05 CTS-V same motor but I need a side car and I found a caprice but I don't know how reliable that engine is

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
The LT-1 engine is extremely reliable. I have seen it take abuse for over 400,000 miles on a regular basis. My engine has been abused more than most by the police for 80,000 then by me for 170,000+ miles and is still pulling strong with minimal leakdown. As with most engines (wrong wheel drive excluded as they are good for paperweights) take care of your motor/car and it will take care of you. To answer your concern simply, 110k is just barely breaking it in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For DD to and from work it is a good reliable car. I have no problem with mine but i only put about 20-40 miles a week on her but i have 150k on my motor. After you do a good tuneup you should be good to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i wouldn't worry about 110k on an lt1 unless it has obvious oil leaks or use. i just hit 103k on mine, never uses more than 1/2 a quart of oil between changes. i would be concerned if it still has the original trans tho.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just keep up with the oil changes on a regular basis and all other fluids you'll be ok. These cars can last a few 100 thousand miles more by just keeping up your fluids.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts