Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 96 Camaro SS, can anyone provide me with some info on what modifcations work well with the LT1?

THanks

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
BEN13, Where do you some some of the advice you dish out. JHC I take it you have read alot, but not done much on cars.

a '96 car is not going to need high-flow cats unless his are damaged.

"While the headers are being put on, now is the time to change the sparkplugs and wires as well as mileage and age related parts like the water and oil pump, " oil pump?, you out of your mind.

"I used Summit Racing for most of my parts." Thats a problem right there.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
BEN13, Where do you some some of the advice you dish out. JHC I take it you have read alot, but not done much on cars.

a '96 car is not going to need high-flow cats unless his are damaged.

"While the headers are being put on, now is the time to change the sparkplugs and wires as well as mileage and age related parts like the water and oil pump, " oil pump?, you out of your mind.

"I used Summit Racing for most of my parts." Thats a problem right there.

I must agree with Gregg-O you sound a bit noobish around cars although we know you have the best intentions as we all do....to give advise as best we can and let the person asking fir the advise sort it out to something that sounds common thought among those replying.

In other words, you goofed but we know your trying to help, we all are:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have no idea how/why you would replace the OIL pump when taking off the exhaust manifolds. Thats just crazy talk. Plugs and wires with the water pump off is correct.

Maybe Ben13 was referring to mods like cam and torque converter. Yes your going to want to have your exhaust prepped before attempting some engine and drive train work. Depending on what gears you have in the rear, you may want to change them. I has the stock 3.08 and went to 3.73 and that woke up the rear alot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's not what I am trying to say. When I had things like the opti, water pump, headers... off, I had the garage change the other parts while some of the exterior parts to the engine were off. I decided to have the mileage and aged-related parts done at the same time. I was not saying that because the exhaust manifold was off it would be the best time to to do the oil pump, only that changing some of the other parts now wouldn't be a bad idea considering nobody buys a V8 Camaro as basic daily transportation. Most of these will be abused and considering it is 12yrs old. I may not be a 20 year master mechanic, but I am pretty sure that an oil pump is fairly important to the engine's well being. If he wants nothing but power he can ignore anything I say about the other parts and only put on the power parts and let him deal with any other problems when it arise like in traffic or a road trip or make a trip to a garage or fix it himself when these old/core duty use parts fail. Spending the little extra for things like a oil pump now when the other parts are being worked on is worth it to me, but if it isn't he is free to ignore part or all my advice.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Ben, Do you know where the oil pump is? ...So you had the garage, jack the engine up, rip the oil pan off and replace the oil pump...just for the hell of it?...I'm sure they charged you justly for that...LOL. Granted, on a 100K mile LT1 , if you are doing a cap & rotor, ..plugs wires & water pump are probably a good idea, SINCE you have to remove the waterpump anyway.

Sounds like you read alot of 'stuff' then take your car & wallet to a garage and tell them what you want. Don't mean to offend , alot of guys do the same thing.

·
Registered
483 Posts
LOL Gregg-O

Yeah I used to be like then I was a teenager and didnt know any better. i would take my car to the stealership for and oil change and it would run 23.99 when my dad told me that I could do it my self by busting some knuckles and gettimg my hands dirty. I learned that a 24 dollar oil change tuned into an 8 dollar oil change, and I got to learn something. Didnt care too much about learning anything back then, but to save some cash. Hell yeah!!

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
So much damn talk about the oil pump on the LT-1. I will have you know they typically keep working long after 100,000 miles, so well in fact that the only time I replace them is when im rebuilding an engine and thats only because the engine is apart, not because it is worn. On my own car you see in my avatar, the engine is still factory, by that I mean everything internal is original with OVER 250,000 miles! I can promise you I have put this car thru more abuse than 99% of the average owners. To top it off, the first 80,000 miles were police miles.

So lets not get carried away with the whole oil pump worry. If you want something to worry about, think 4L60E as they are shit when they near 6 digits.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Heavy SS, I'm don't claim to be an expert, but I started working on cars in...'68-'69 at a local SUNOCO up the street from my house I was 13-14 years old and just loved tearing things apart...LOL it didn't take long for the 'old man' and his son to explain the fact that you had to put back together to get a pay check ...LOL. I see/hear alot of these kids that don't seem to put any effort into finding out whats wrong. Been seeing alot on the 'other' forum too. Thses kids know computers but seem to be able to Google anything...!

G.B.A. I hear ya on the oil pump thing. Rebuild is the only time I have replaced the chevy pump also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts