Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off thanks to LazerBlue07SS and RYD SLO for helping me with this swap.

Alright boys and girls. I have a 2008 Impala LT with 2013 LTZ wheels and tires on them. To do the swap, it is not as simple as a wheel and tire change.

LT's and LTZ's came with different suspension options LT being FE1 or FE2, and LTZ with the FE3 suspension packages. The numbers going from softest to firmest FE1-FE4.

The issue with just doing a wheel swap from the LT 16's to the LTZ 18's is the rear strut assembly clearance on the lower spring plate. (See Pics). Thus prompting you to have to change the rear suspension. The fronts have plenty of clearance with stock strut assemblies (for me) but the rears will rub. :bang:

In order to have the 18" wheels whether being SS or LTZ wheels work, you NEED to change the rear suspension if you have an LS or LT.

Heres what I ordered and worked. You can see in the pics that the new strut assembly allows for slightly more clearance on the lower spring plate. (Its a tad higher up)

- I used KYB-SR4103 and KYB-SR4104 strut assemblies for the swap to work.

- I used 2013 Impala 18" LTZ wheels but LTZ wheels from 08-13 should work. 18x7, on P235-50-R18.

Pictures:
(Left to Right - Top to Bottom)
1. Old Impala Wheels
2. New Wheels Installed
3. 16" Wheel Front Clearance
4. 18" Wheel Front Clearance (Plenty of Room)
5. 18" Wheel Rear Clearance Before Strut Swap (Rubs)
6. 18" Wheel Rear Clearance After Strut Swap (More room)
7. KYB FE3 Next To Original FE1 Strut (Lower Spring Plate is Higher)

Well, that about does it fella. Hope this helps you guys out if you plan on doing an 18" wheel swap on an LT or LS. :yahoo:

Attachments

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Great write-up! The only thing I will mention is that you MAY need to change the rear suspension. For whatever reason, some people don't run into the fitment issues with the FE1 or FE2 suspensions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh alright. I mean my tire did spin even with it mounted with the original suspension but the clearance, as you can see, was so tight. I didnt want to risk it rubbing.

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Yes, the clearance is very tight, and upgrading the parts definitely gives you some more wiggle room. My rear tires are extremely close, but not touching. I checked the tires on a lift about a thousand after putting them on, and didn't see any grooves or signs of wear from the strut mount. Definitely better to be safe than sorry though!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a side note; How long does it take for the new strut assemblies to settle? My rear ride height is significantly taller after the install and is a little too tall actually.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know this forum is old but what exactly is it that i need to get to put factory LTZ 18s on my 13 impala LT? just the strut?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Great write-up! The only thing I will mention is that you MAY need to change the rear suspension. For whatever reason, some people don't run into the fitment issues with the FE1 or FE2 suspensions.

He went from 16" to 18" and the tires will rub, but if you go from 16" to 17" then you should be okay. I have the Monroe quick struts and 17" tires and the rear tires are very close to the strut plate, but do not rub. Great write up. :beer:

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Just another note. Anybody going from 18s to 16s (for the winter) there are zero fitment issues. Only issue exists for SOME going to 18s from non 18s (ie LT).

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Very interesting. I put LTZ wheels and tires on my '10 LT and had no issues except having the dealer programs the TPMS to my car. Guess I got lucky..

The old LTZ's like my car had 17" wheels, but the newer LTZ's (2012+) are 18" wheels on the 8th gens.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
So... going from 17" wheels/tires on a '13 LT to 18"wheels/tires would require more than the 18" rims/tires or not???

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
So... going from 17" wheels/tires on a '13 LT to 18"wheels/tires would require more than the 18" rims/tires or not???
As long as the overall size of the new tires is about the same, and the new rims have about the same offset, I can't see any gotchas.

If you were going to smaller rims, I might be concerned about brake caliper clearance. But going up won't pose any issues in that regard.

If the new tires have approximately the same height, I can't foresee any issue there. The offset is the only concern. If the new wheels result in the tires being more inboard, or more outboard, there could be a rubbing issue, usually while steering, or going over bumps.

If you can measure the offset of the new wheels, you can compare it to the existing ones to see how much difference there is, if any.

HTH.

Doug

[Edit] Re-reading the thread title, if the 18" wheels came off an Impala, I wouldn't be worried at all. Just make sure you get the same size tires as came on that car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts