Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have to replace my crankshaft pulley or harmonic balancer if thats what u wanna call it and in my manual it says to support the subframe with floor jacks, loosen the bolts on the left side, remove the bolts on the right, then carefully lower the right side of the subframe just enough to get at the crankshaft pulley, i do all my own car work but ive never lowerd a subframe... is this hard?? the book makes it sound not that bad, has anyone ever done this? now if i was completly removing the frame that would be another story... but im just suppose to lower it a tiny bit, someone please give me confidence lol

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
year, model and engine please :eek:k3:

more could be able to help with more info.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Best way to do this would to remove the upper dog bones/motor mounts then loosen up the subframe bolts on the drivers side to lower it some. Then I would remove the pass side strut complety, then place a jack under the subframe on the pass side then remove the subframe bolts on the pass side. With the jack slowly lower the subframe until you have enough room to do the work you want.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a 2007 impala lt 3.9l. And do i have to remove the upper motor mounts to lower the subframe? The book dosnt say anything about this

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I would say its possible to how the book describes, but more than likely it will be a PITA to get to. Dave seems to know his stuff, His way, although maybe longer would probably make the job easier.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have the 3.9 L engine too and it looks like a real beast. Maybe it would be best to do this at a mechanic shop?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright superdave, i will probably try to go by the book at first but i apreciate your input and ill deff keep that in mind, i plan on starting this thursday when my part gets here, i just have never messed with a subframe before, kinda scared me at first but the more i look into it the more confident i am that i can do it, i just thought there would be more to it then the haynes manual describes. @Dave N.. i thought about bringing it to a mechanic but i dont wanna pay all the extra money for someone else to do it and i dont have a buddy with a shop that i can do it in, so im gonna do it in my garage.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I have done it, the way the book says is fine, the upper mounts have enough travel, so does the strut. Someone on here recently even did it without lowering the subframe at all, apparently there was enough room.

Reactions: 07impala12

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good news i didnt have to lower the subframe to remove my crankshaft pulley saved me alot of time, so i guess it really can be done how that other guy says king. i even got the bolt out of the crankshaft with no problems just hit it with a impact wrench. i would say the hardest part was pulling the pulley off itself since i didnt have the right puller but managed with it anyways. I attached a picture below of the new pulley i put on to show the space i was working with, it was just enough, if i wanted to i coulda dropped it a couple inches to expose the rest of the pulley but found it easier to do it the way she sat, anyways thanks for all the comments its much appreciated :eek:k3:

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
2008 3.5L
I am going to replace the front crankshaft seal. I took a pulley from AutoZone with bolts, according to the picture above. Just removed the splash shield and found there are no holes on the crankshaft balancer.
I borrowed an impact wrench because I don't know how to lock the balancer in order to unscrew the bolt. Now I read in the manual not to use power tools because I can damage the inertial weight section on the balancer. Any idea how to lock it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I have been trying to remove my 2007 impala lt 3900 harmonic balancer for weeks now. if anyone can help me out what kind of tool to use or
how to get it off. Will be nice thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
its a special tool you have to use to take it off. You can rent it at autozone. Its looks like a claw that goes around your balancer. just ask for it at autozone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts