Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, did a quick search and couldn't find a thread devoted to this, so felt like starting one. Wanted to get a collection of pictures together of lowered 8th Gen Impalas. What I am looking for if you would:

1. Give year and model of Impala (SS, LT, LS, LTZ, etc)
2. Give quick run down of suspension, specifically including spring and strut setup (front and rear)
3. Any notes of added weight for either end of car (hitch, subs, etc)
3. Lastly, of course a picture or pictures of the car. Especially looking for full side and front 3/4 shots.

So, who will get it started. I can't as I am not lowered, but am planning on starting with Canuck spring set and doing the fronts only to start with. This will give around 1.6" drop in front and level out my wheel well gap front and rear.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks nice! To me, especially in that side shot, that looks about like the perfect ride height for daily driving, in my opinion. Measured from center of wheel to bottom edge of wheel arch lip, at highest point, my front wheel well opening is 1.5" higher than my rear wheel well opening. Especially with full tank of gas. Partly do to the hitch on the back and partly because, for whatever reason, the '12+ ride a bit higher in front than back.

Thus, planning on doing the Canuck 1.6" front springs only to start with along with anti-pogo washers. Try that setup and see how it looks, rides, and handles and go from there...

Come on, I know there are more of you with lowered 8th Gens. out there!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just logged on to check on this thread. I was really hoping it would have taken off with tons of pics! I want to do sway bars for sure and possibly lowering/ leveling if it's not too expensive to do right. I just worry about issues with camber/ alignment.

·
$ILLK
155 Posts
I just logged on to check on this thread. I was really hoping it would have taken off with tons of pics! I want to do sway bars for sure and possibly lowering/ leveling if it's not too expensive to do right. I just worry about issues with camber/ alignment.
Hey Tony sent you a PM. Too much to list on this thread.

- Irockkid86

I'm definitely happy with my suspension upgrades. I remember how this car would scare me in the corners at freeway speeds when I 1st bought it. Felt like a boat in rough waters. Can't tell you if any seperate upgrade made a difference as I did them all at once, but collectively it drove like a different animal. The GMPP parts aren't priced terribly so I don't know why GM could not build them out to start... Wait a minute, that's a whole 'nother thread, lol.

I didn't have any problems with my camber/alignment after getting the car aligned. I found out the hard way about the cambers issues of these cars. Not even a month after I got the car I started feeling a vibration and the car would just pull on the freeway terribly. Next thing I know my rear tire's tread was showing its metal threads on the inner portions. One bad pothole and I could have been in a very bad position. Bad alignment pretty much shot all the tires out and had to get a new set. Since then I've haven't had a problem at all. I do periodically look at the wear of the inner tread in between maintainence alignments from now on though.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
2012LTZ Oem everything suspension wise, except the (SSC) Canuk Motorsports drop springs

I hope these photos helps. The photo with the letters & numbers taped to the side, the whole car is empty.
first I start off with a photo that shows what resides in my trunk ((sadly)not clearly visible 2 12"s)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
702•LTZ;1589210 said:
2012LTZ Oem everything suspension wise, except the (SSC) Canuk Motorsports drop springs
Which Canuk springs did you go with? Did you go with the Impala specific ones or the Grand Prix ones that Will has been recommending?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My apologies I forgot to include that detail
Grand prix series

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
:lol: roll thru to Vegas. Il hook ya up!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
702•LTZ;1590898 said:
My apologies I forgot to include that detail
Grand prix series
And one more clarification (sorry). These are the '97-'03 springs with the listed 1.8" front/1.6" rear drop? And you installed that setup on your '12 LTZ with no fitment issues at all, correct? Just wanted to clarify as other information on this site seems to agree with that, but Canuck had never heard of that and of course recommended their "Impala" springs. Will had mentioned that the '97-'03 GP springs help with rear end sag while bringing the front end down more than rear - which the '12+ definitely need with that huge front wheel well gap.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Nah your good.
I do believe so.
Researching doing airbag suspension now :lol: 735$ forbags alone. Plug shipping.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to get the ride height out of the air, little lower to the ground, but not slammed while still retaining good ride characteristics and better handling as it is still a daily driver, including Iowa winters! But I don't want the rear sitting way lower than the front. Trying to find best way to get front down so level or slightly lower even than the rear.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Lookin at about 240$ in bracketing for bags.

Iv read where someone took out the spring isolator or something from the front to drop it down a bit. Also read where someone installed just drop springs in the front. But the springs I got sat it level, untill i put the amp & subs that dropped about .25" then everything else dropped It another rough .25"

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lookin at about 240$ in bracketing for bags.

Iv read where someone took out the spring isolator or something from the front to drop it down a bit. Also read where someone installed just drop springs in the front. But the springs I got sat it level, untill i put the amp & subs that dropped about .25" then everything else dropped It another rough .25"
Yeah, I don't want to remove spring isolator and will be doing new anti pogo washers up front with new springs. I had thought about trying just the fronts as I already have a hitch on the rear and the front ride height - measured from center of wheel cap to inside edge at top of wheel well opening - is 1.5" higher in front than rear at this time. It is more pronounced or bigger difference when I have a full tank of gas and the bike rack with backs loaded on the hitch on back. But that's isn't all that often. Definitely want to try and get level or slight front rack ride height and the '97-'03 GP springs seems to be the suggested route. I know I will have slight bit more drop in rear due to the hitch, but can't be perfect all the time.

Here is Will's right up on the springs:

:: Overkill Motorsports ::

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I do agree that the rear end "sags" a little on the 2012+ - especially when you have a full tank of gas, like you said. I do wich the rear end was a little higher. I guess you could always go the super-cheap route and put some spring lifters in the rear! Probably not a very good way to handle it though!!! :) I used those once with an old Buick Regal when I was younger. Seemed to work OK... What are the drawbacks of spring-lifters?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do agree that the rear end "sags" a little on the 2012+ - especially when you have a full tank of gas, like you said. I do wich the rear end was a little higher. I guess you could always go the super-cheap route and put some spring lifters in the rear! Probably not a very good way to handle it though!!! :) I used those once with an old Buick Regal when I was younger. Seemed to work OK... What are the drawbacks of spring-lifters?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I am not looking to raise the rear, but rather lower the front. I don't think the rear end right height, as my car sits right now is too bad, but the front is WAY to high for my liking. And still not sure why, but the '12-'14 Limited sit much higher in front than the pre-'12 models. Front end needs to come down. And if I can do that in such a way as to improve handling, without killing ride quality, then that is the route I want to go.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts