Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to recharge my A/C unit but the caps are not labeled with the traditional L or H. I think it is the smaller one but don't want to take a chance and have the can blow up in my hand. Anyone know if this is right??
Thanks Dave

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
If you are adding that means you have a leak. To properly add it must be under vacuum with the proper machine. Otherwise you will still have a leak, you wont really know how much is in the system and it may have air in the system that messes with operation.

The main issue with these cars is the high side valve. If you look at it, it is silver in color with a black rubber center. When the a/c system is service, this black rubber piece is always damaged, always. The answer to most a/c issues is to replace the valve with a different style. We use a brass valve that looks like a tire valve stem in the center, no rubber piece to damage. It has been effective in 100% of our repairs for this issue.

If you cant find one, I have a large amount of them here. The only other issue that tends to cause a/c to leak is the upper control arm can rub a hole into the a/c lines if it is bent and resting on the control arm.

If you have headers than they may have melted a hole in the lines but most people know enough that they wrap the lines and the headers to avoid this.

If you are confused or have questions, take a picture of the a/c lines by the battery and I can tell you if you have the stock valve that has issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are adding that means you have a leak. To properly add it must be under vacuum with the proper machine. Otherwise you will still have a leak, you wont really know how much is in the system and it may have air in the system that messes with operation.

The main issue with these cars is the high side valve. If you look at it, it is silver in color with a black rubber center. When the a/c system is service, this black rubber piece is always damaged, always. The answer to most a/c issues is to replace the valve with a different style. We use a brass valve that looks like a tire valve stem in the center, no rubber piece to damage. It has been effective in 100% of our repairs for this issue.

If you cant find one, I have a large amount of them here. The only other issue that tends to cause a/c to leak is the upper control arm can rub a hole into the a/c lines if it is bent and resting on the control arm.

If you have headers than they may have melted a hole in the lines but most people know enough that they wrap the lines and the headers to avoid this.

If you are confused or have questions, take a picture of the a/c lines by the battery and I can tell you if you have the stock valve that has issues.
Thanks I'll get that pic to ya soon....It is unbelievably hot outside.....

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Nice quality pics....your valve is the stock junk valve and looks old anyways. The rubber center is what causes a good amount of most leaks. As I said, if you cant find a good one to replace it with, I have them in stock for cheap.....the good ones.

·
Registered
167 Posts
George, Angel, need a little help

Just got my new A/C compressor and am trying to find out how many ounces of oil I need to put in my system. The compressor came with seven ounces. I thought one of the decals under the hood would tell me but there wasn't one for this info. Thank you for any help you may provide.

SSETY

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got my new A/C compressor and am trying to find out how many ounces of oil I need to put in my system. The compressor came with seven ounces. I thought one of the decals under the hood would tell me but there wasn't one for this info. Thank you for any help you may provide.

SSETY

I believe it say 1lb 12oz...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had my new A/C compressor installed last Thursday. I am so relieved! Here in florida the outside temp has been in the mid 90's and humidity levels the same or more. I searched around on for the amount of oil for the A/C system and most stated 10 ounces, so that is what I used but thank you for your help. When I ran the A/C, I took the temp with a A/C duct thermometer and with the windows down it was a frigid 43 degrees!!! The Tech just wanted to sit in the car until it was time to go home (LOL!) The car is almost ready for it's appearence care now, I'm not sure what other mechanical procedures it needs but I'll try to think of somthing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please help! :) Need to locate High and Low on a 2004 Impala - regular not LS or SS

One valve is right up against the dashboard/windsheild and the other is near the air filter. When you're standing at the front bumper looking under the hood toward the windshield, the batter is on the left and the valve is on the right near the air filter is a smaller tube but a bigger cap. The one near the windshield/dashboard is pretty much smack dab in the center and a bigger tube. I'd say the smaller one is about a pencil and the other is about the size of my thumb in diameter is a smaller cap. I saw someone say dryer but that means nothing to me. Can someone please clarify for me which one is the low pressure valve? Here's a picture of it.
Untitled Album | Facebook

:dunno:
Thanks!

Jason Condit
Michigan

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Cold Steel is no longer a member of this forum and not able to help you on this.

Most auto parts stores should be able to get the better valve he was talking about for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems like I will need to do the same thing. I rebuilt the front end of my 07' LTZ which included replacing the condenser. I took it to my buddies shop to get properly filled and it appears that the low side valve was damaged as it audibly does not seal when pressurized. It worked for a while (until I realized) but now I am getting the 6 blinking lights on the AC interior button so I'll see if I can find those replacement valves.

Mine appear to be this type (not rubber ball in middle)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts