Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is up to all of you!...i love this site!thanks for all the advice!....but i got a new problem..i think.
i was driving my 92 BRMEW w/a standard 5.7 350 and when i came to a stop my oil pressure dropped into the red and the light came on....so i took it home,a few days later i drove it after i first looked in the owners manual which said my problem was normal although i never noticed it before..so i drove away,about 1 hour later the pressure slowly dropped and i mean slowly...i busted a uturn and headed for home,i stopped in the road in front of my house and the pressure was just in front of the red the light came on for a brief moment then went off so i parked it and ran for the computer....DOES THIS PROBLEM SOUND FAMILIAR TO YOU?,CAN SOMEONE GET ME STARTED ON A POSSIBLE SOLUTION?,indeed,i know someone can help me....thanks!:dunno:

·
Banned
574 Posts
Low oil pressure is never normal in any way, shape or form and can cause serious engine damage. Low oil pressure can destroy an engine.
Unless you've got a few thousands dollars sitting around for a new engine, I'd recommend getting the vehicle to a competent automotive technician as quick as you can. Call around for a few auto centers and ask how much they will need to charge you to check the oil pressure in the engine.
Good luck with it.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Sometimes a low gauge reading is simply the sender or gauge or gunk in the passages to the sender.

When oil pressure is actually low that is almost always a sign of the engine already being damaged as someone who actually comprehends the system would understand. Oil pressure is a result of restriction of the oil trying to get bast the bearings and such, when the pressure goes low it is usually because the bearing clearances have already gotten loose.

You need to verify with a mechanical gauge before going any further, if you do that or have a shop that is up to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
much love to you all!

thanks for the advice.....i like the straight foward talk....i am taking it to jon hall chevy,i will post the results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dwayne u were right!

dont get the big head though,but it was the oil sending unit 26.00$part 10min of labor and the oil pressure is good now....that is why i love this site because the knowledge of you people is always on point,thanks....but where should i start looking to modify my standard 350?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts