Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a question about my 2000 3.8L Impala that, up until last week, gave me no problems. After starting my car after leaving it parked for some time, I was greeted by the Low Oil Pressure warning light for the first time. I just had the oil and filter changed less than a few hundred miles ago. I’ll be honest, the car has over 124,000 miles on it but it runs with no problems. To make sure the light wasn’t a fluke, I turned off the car and turned it back on to see if the light would return. It did. So I stopped the engine again and checked the oil level. It looked ok so I turned the engine back on and this time the light did not come on.

I ran the car for a few days with no further problems. I even drove it on an Interstate for over a 100 miles with no unusual feel to the pedal or sounds coming from the engine. It was fine until a few nights ago when the light came on again but went off on its own. Finally, it came back on last night but it wouldn’t even turn off when I removed the key from the ignition.

My question is what do you think is wrong with my car? There’s no knocking in the engine and it runs as smooth as it ever did. My guess is that when I had the oil changed, the wrong grade oil might have been put in. Either that or a sensor is going bad. I just hope the oil pump isn’t going. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If the oil level isn't dropping and you aren't hearing anything, and you've driven that many miles, it's most likely the sensor. It's a fairly easy replacement. If you pull the right front wheel, you'll see it sticking out of the housing that the oil filter is screwed into.

BWD - Oil Pressure Switch
Part Number: S4179
Listed on Oreilly's website at $12.99

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the same problem but i have change pressure sensor and oil filter housing gasket... but low oil pressure light keeps coming on no engine noise what so ever. rev it up no noise and even gunned it from a dead stop no noise... checked plug it was in good shape no noticable engine slug build up in filter housing... i dont what rlse it could be but worried everytime the light comes on... does anyone have any sugggestions

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you know it has oil and is running properly, then it's not that.
If you know the sender is good, then it's not that.
What's left is the harness, harness connector, whatever electronics it has to run through, and the light itself. I've had lots of issues with harness connectors...they build up some sort of invisible corrosion that increases resistance to the point that false signals are indicated. I have fixed many electrical problems simply by disconnecting the harness, spraying DeoxIT (or other electrical cleaner) on the connector, and then reconnecting. Let me know how it goes....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts