Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I check if this is a bad send sensor or an actual issue? I don't have engine oil leaking ( mind you I have trany oil leaking) where is the sensor and where can I get one cheap.? (Not looking to keep the car much longer)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
How can I check if this is a bad send sensor or an actual issue? I don't have engine oil leaking ( mind you I have trany oil leaking) where is the sensor and where can I get one cheap.? (Not looking to keep the car much longer)

You did not provide the year, make, model and engine of your vehicle.

Check the oil level. Do you have a high quality oil filter (not clogged, or a cheap aftermarket filter)? You can get a high quality ACDelco sensor at any GM dealer, or ACDelco jobber (or on EBay or Amazon).

The only way to check the sensor is to remove it and replace temporarily with a quality oil pressure guage fitting. The sensors are very common parts to fail, and inexpensive.

If you change the oil pressure sensor, you will need a special oil pressure sensor socket.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
07 Impala LS
I'll go grab an acdelco one and where can I get the socket. What size?

I don’t recall the size of the socket - but most auto parts stores carry them (often marketed as an oil pressure sending unit socket). You may want to get the sending unit first, then ensure the socket you buy fits it.

The sending unit is often near the oil filter, and on some engines, the filter must be removed for access to the sending unit. There is an electrical connection that has to be removed - and don’t use teflon tape on the sensor threads as they are often grounded to the engine via the threads (the sensor may come with a sealant applied to the threads from the manufacturer).

·
Registered
598 Posts
The sending unit is often near the oil filter, and on some engines, the filter must be removed for access to the sending unit. There is an electrical connection that has to be removed - and don’t use teflon tape on the sensor threads as they are often grounded to the engine via the threads (the sensor may come with a sealant applied to the threads from the manufacturer).
+1 on the teflon tape.

I do not know if the 3.5 and 3.9 engines have different locations on the oil pressure sending unit, but I just changed out mine a few months ago and there was no need to remove the oil filter. It is on the front side of the engine, by the radiator fans. It's a little bit of a pain in the ass to get to. Some oil will leak out when you pull it, but not enough to worry. I think I lost maybe two or three ounces total.

Sorry I don't recall much more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts