Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Impala and I am driving from VA to TX. About 3 hrs into my trip, I stopped at a rest stop and parked my car. When I started my car again I heard the craziest noise from my engine. Then when I put the car in gear, it started shaking and jerking badly whenever I accelerated. I thought it was my transmission.

I panicked and called my step dad to find out what the problem was. I pulled over and popped the hood. All I could hear coming from the engine was a boiling sound.........little did I know how close I was to having my engine overheat :frown:. My coolant was well below the hose connecting the resevoir and the radiator. I went and bought some premixed anti-freeze, waited for the car to cool down popped the radiator cap. I added coolant to the radiator and filled the resevoir.

Bottom line, I should have checked ALL my fluids before I hopped on the road. My car is running fine now. I just hope I didn't do any damage to my engine. :frown:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Vehicle Update

Now my car won't even move when I put it in reverse or drive. I can press the gas pedal all day and the vehicle won't move. So I'm thinking the transmission went out.

Can anyone give me some insight?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
It may be the cable that hooks the gear selector to the transmission. To check start the engine, put the selector in neutral and push the car. If the car moves then check the trans fluid level, if fine the trans is shot. If it cannot be pushed then the cable is broke. A cable replacement would be cheaper.

Letting the engine get that hot and low on coolant can burn out the transmission. It has line that run to the radiator that cools it fluid. If the fluid is a dark brown to black color and smells burnt then that is also a sign that the transmission is shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may be the cable that hooks the gear selector to the transmission. To check start the engine, put the selector in neutral and push the car. If the car moves then check the trans fluid level, if fine the trans is shot. If it cannot be pushed then the cable is broke. A cable replacement would be cheaper.

Letting the engine get that hot and low on coolant can burn out the transmission. It has line that run to the radiator that cools it fluid. If the fluid is a dark brown to black color and smells burnt then that is also a sign that the transmission is shot.
The cable is good. The towing company move the car when it was in neutral. I also made sure I checked the fluid. It is still reddish-pink in color. One thing I did notice though is the fluid is above the cross-hairs on the dipstick when it's hot. According to the manual, the oil is supposed to be within the cross hatch when it is hot.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The cable is good. The towing company move the car when it was in neutral. I also made sure I checked the fluid. It is still reddish-pink in color. One thing I did notice though is the fluid is above the cross-hairs on the dipstick when it's hot. According to the manual, the oil is supposed to be within the cross hatch when it is hot.
Ok the fluid is the correct color so it did not get overheated. The fluid being above the cross hatch when at operating tempature is not good.

I do not know what the problem is, but it will need work. I hope it is something simple and not exspensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts