Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much is the usual price to replace the lost key and how to tell if it is a coded key or not. Have the spare set, lost the one ignition key. Do you have to go to a dealer, or can you buy them someplace else.
How can I tell if it has a microchip. Looks just like a regular key to me, has a black plastic top, but so did my old 78 chevette.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
go only to dealer as they code it right everyone codes it wrong and you dont get moneyback for there screw up

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
carry the vin number and vehicle registrtion to gm dealer to get key cut. they should have info for what the chip code for that car is.if it has a chip.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep you have to go to the dealer. you know if its coded if it has a microchip on it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm assuming you have a regular key, and not something with fancy electronics in it.

If you have the spare set, you can get a copy made at most hardware stores, although the last time I did that, the new key was a little cloogy. It only cost a few bucks.

If it's an electronic key, you'll probably have to go to the dealer, and it might cost around $250.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer or a reputable locksmith can make a new key. However, you probably will have to produce a valid id and registration for security reasons. The key can be cut at the dealer by the VIN.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts