Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to say hello to everyone and to thank everyone for any help they give me. To start off I have an 2004 Impala, standard model, 3.4 engine. I had a tune up on the car mid june, plugs and wires changed. The check engine light would come on just every once in a while stay on a day or so then go off, so I figured it way over due for the tune up. Well a or so after the tune up the engine light came on and it would stay on for a few days then go off. I made a run to my local parts store and according to the code it was misfiring on #1 cylinder. But to get to the point the engine light stayed on more than it was off. Well today we stopped by gas up and when we left the station COMPLETE loss of power....so another run to the parts store now on top of it still misfiring on the 1st cylinder it was saying the converter was stopped up as well, not to mention it had the smell of rotten eggs. After taking the convertor completely off running a straight pipe(no emission here) and changing the coil pack for the 1st and 4th cylinder still no change.So any help would be greatly appreciated on this issue. I just don't know what else could be causing this....I need help:gaah:

·
Banned
574 Posts
Per federal law, it is illegal to remove the catalyctic convertor and replace it with a pipe. The fine is $4,500, 30 days in jail, or both. In states that have annual safety inspections, the vehicle also will not pass inspection with the catalyctic convertor removed, (again, federal law). Today's vehicles are designed to run with a catalyctic convertor and removing it can reduce power and fuel economy.

A misfiring cylinder can be caused by a bad spark plug, spark plug wire, coil pack or mechanical failure within that cylinder, i.e. blown cylinder head gasket. Diagnose before replacement, as it's far less costly and exasperating to diagnose a problem than it is to throw parts at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem been fixed

It ended being a plug wire and btw my catalyctic convertor has been put back on the car

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If it smelled like rotten eggs its probably toast though, you may want to look into replacing it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts