Impala Forums banner

41 - 60 of 120 Posts

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Geez all of that and only 94k mile's? You got lucky it was still under warranty. Do the new parts have a warranty that extends past the powertrain?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
yes all the repairs are good for another set amount of time

I forget what amount of time and mileage it extends for.
So what problems were you having? Loss of oil i assume?

Is this a common problem? What causes this?

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
I have a thread on here about excessive leakage around the whole block where the head gaskets are, coolant loss, sweet exhaust smell, oil smelling funny, and gas mileage around 13mpg.
Also a service bulletin on the 2006-07 impala 3.5l having head gasket problems

I brought it in cause i figured the head gasket was blown.
Went through common blown head gaskets with my 91 supra with the stock 7mge motor so i was no stranger to blown head gaskets

So when i brought it in the dealership found all those other problems along with the blown head gaskets.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I have a thread on here about excessive leakage around the whole block where the head gaskets are, coolant loss, sweet exhaust smell, oil smelling funny, and gas mileage around 13mpg.
Also a service bulletin on the 2006-07 impala 3.5l having head gasket problems

I brought it in cause i figured the head gasket was blown.
Went through common blown head gaskets with my 91 supra with the stock 7mge motor so i was no stranger to blown head gaskets

So when i brought it in the dealership found all those other problems along with the blown head gaskets.
Has gm redesigned the gaskets or changed torque on the bolts? Or did they just replace with the same junk gaskets? Man sounds like just more proof of my point "gm has huge quality issues". Not trying to be a dick just trying to learn more about whats going on with gm.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Idk what they did to fix the issue i know on mine they just replaced mine but idk if they torqued them more.

i said it from day one on joining this forum that this car was crap.
i couldn't agree more, its been nothing but problems.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Idk what they did to fix the issue i know on mine they just replaced mine but idk if they torqued them more.

i said it from day one on joining this forum that this car was crap.
i couldn't agree more, its been nothing but problems.
But, it doesn't stop us from loving them does it?

It helps when you know what problems exist and take care of them beforehand. Preventative maint is key. Then again these repairs are far beyond that and are unacceptable. GM is screwed. I wouldn't be surprised if the government buys out the rest of the shares and kills the brand. Then again GM is keeping a lot of small shops and part manufacture's in business. A lot of people would lose business or jobs. But, I believe this is the only cure as it seems GM can't get it together.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Alright finally got together a "full" list for when it get's warmer out. Just putting this together for future reference for both me and others as well.

Rockauto

Upper Intake Kit (#615180) $67
Dayco Drive Belt (much needed) $22
Delphi FPR (#FP10238) $46
Delphi IAC (#CV10151) $33
Fel-pro lwr Intake gasket (#MS98014T) $49
DNJ Valve cover gaskets (#VC3143G) $10 These look thicker and better qual
Victor Reinz Grommets $8 " "
EGR Gasket (#VG214) $8

Other needed things from Rockauto

Mevotech Fr sway bar links $7
Dorman Fr door hinge pins/bushings $22

ZZP

HV3 Insert $200
2.5" SS downpipe $250 or Replace Cat $100
Alum Coolant Elbows $ 11
180 deg T-stat $10
o2 emulator and bung $60

Amazon

Gearwrench

1/4" extension kit $25
" " impact socket set $36
" " Torque Wrench $100
" " Universal Joint $10

Other

1" Ratchet strap (tilting engine) $20
Channellock snap ring pliers $23

If any money left

Anzousa Headlights $230
New rims $400
Arcan Quicklift jack $200

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Has anyone used these valve cover gaskets or grommets? 1/4" sockets should suffice for the job, correct? I need a decent 1/4" set anyways and the smaller size should help reaching hard to get at areas easier. I have heard mixed opinions on where to place RTV on the lower intake manifold. Does anyone have the correct locations as to where to use rtv?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get all the info together so I am ready to tackle the job when the time come's. Believe me, I don't want to have problems or have to redo any of this again.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Alright finally got together a "full" list for when it get's warmer out. Just putting this together for future reference for both me and others as well.

Rockauto

Upper Intake Kit (#615180) $67
Dayco Drive Belt (much needed) $22
Delphi FPR (#FP10238) $46
Delphi IAC (#CV10151) $33
Fel-pro lwr Intake gasket (#MS98014T) $49
DNJ Valve cover gaskets (#VC3143G) $10 These look thicker and better qual
Victor Reinz Grommets $8 " "
EGR Gasket (#VG214) $8

Other needed things from Rockauto

Mevotech Fr sway bar links $7
Dorman Fr door hinge pins/bushings $22

ZZP

HV3 Insert $200
2.5" SS downpipe $250 or Replace Cat $100
Alum Coolant Elbows $ 11
180 deg T-stat $10
o2 emulator and bung $60

Amazon

Gearwrench

1/4" extension kit $25
" " impact socket set $36
" " Torque Wrench $100
" " Universal Joint $10

Other

1" Ratchet strap (tilting engine) $20
Channellock snap ring pliers $23

If any money left

Anzousa Headlights $230
New rims $400
Arcan Quicklift jack $200
damn, wish I had you money... Good luck with the build :beer: :eek:k3:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Income tax ..............Gone once it get's warmer :cool:
I'm waiting on mine too. :bang: Doing:
overkill
custom ram air
u bend delete
front struts
better sound system (door and [amped deck components] and new subs)
rear stb
possibly some poly motor/suspension bushings
:eek:k3:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I'm waiting on mine too. :bang: Doing:
overkill
custom ram air
u bend delete
front struts
better sound system (door and [amped deck components] and new subs)
rear stb
possibly some poly motor/suspension bushings
:eek:k3:
Front struts already? How many miles? Well, I shouldn't say that. I had to replace my rear struts (usually go out before front's I believe on these 7th) at 126k but, were done at about 100k when step dad drove it (barely 10mi a day so, no issue for him). Oh struts they are fun!

Easiest way to INSTALL struts: Don't use a spring compressor to install. It is too big of a hassle to get the position of the compressors correct in order to get them back out after install. Instead:

1. Place strut with original spring/rubber/boot/etc in place
2. Put bottom 2 bolts in but, don't tighten
3. Get a friend to help
4. Place floor jack under steering knuckle/hub and lift while your friend guides the piston through the top hole. You obviously need a set of jacks stand and a floor jack to do so but, it's much easier and faster this way.
5. Tighten top bolt
6. " " Bottom bolt's

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Front struts already? How many miles? Well, I shouldn't say that. I had to replace my rear struts (usually go out before front's I believe on these 7th) at 126k but, were done at about 100k when step dad drove it (barely 10mi a day so, no issue for him). Oh struts they are fun!

Easiest way to INSTALL struts: Don't use a spring compressor to install. It is too big of a hassle to get the position of the compressors correct in order to get them back out after install. Instead:

1. Place strut with original spring/rubber/boot/etc in place
2. Put bottom 2 bolts in but, don't tighten
3. Get a friend to help
4. Place floor jack under steering knuckle/hub and lift while your friend guides the piston through the top hole. You obviously need a set of jacks stand and a floor jack to do so but, it's much easier and faster this way.
5. Tighten top bolt
6. " " Bottom bolt's
Rear struts are still in great shape, not even the slightest bit of noise or sagging that I can tell. The front struts shot with 121xxx miles. Is this required with the Quick strut pre-assembled set???

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Rear struts are still in great shape, not even the slightest bit of noise or sagging that I can tell. The front struts shot with 121xxx miles. Is this required with the Quick strut pre-assembled set???
No it is not. The quick assembly is a simple bolt in replacement. I would have gone with a quick-strut assembly but, the rear struts came with my car during purchase. No sense in spending the extra bones. But, the only thing that really needs replacement during a strut job is the top mounts ($20-30 a piece anyways). So really a quick-strut assembly is the easier and more reasonable way to go, if you can afford it.

Eventually, I will be replacing my fronts with Quick struts as my front strut mounts are deteriorating (common with 7th gens)

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Mine have been bad for a long time now, I just haven't had the money. But then again I drive up and down a 6 mile long washboard 2 times a day :bang:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
RTV on the LIM, apply a thick bead to each end of the valley, corner to corner. Do this instead of the rubber valley gaskets, they will leak. Let the RTV set up for 15 minutes before placing the LIM on it, allow another 15-30 mins before torquing. This will insure a good seal.

Reactions: g25racer

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
RTV on the LIM, apply a thick bead to each end of the valley, corner to corner. Do this instead of the rubber valley gaskets, they will leak. Let the RTV set up for 15 minutes before placing the LIM on it, allow another 15-30 mins before torquing. This will insure a good seal.
Thank you very much! I was unsure if this information would be provided with the lim gasket

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The fel-pro kit comes with RTV and tells you to use it there, some other brands come with rubber gaskets. None of them tell you to wait, that's something I learned from another mechanic years ago.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
None of them tell you to wait, that's something I learned from another mechanic years ago.
This most def sounds like a key part! I was worried about using rtv and placing the lim on top and the rtv squeezes out and drips down into my engine. That would not be good.

41 - 60 of 120 Posts