Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of an oil leak that is getting worse and I was wondering if someone had some insight for me. I have standing oil on top of the LIM so I suspect it is either the lim gasket or possibly the uim is warped. I have a list of parts below I plan on having replaced. All parts will be bought from zzp. There are 2 different l36 uim's on the zzp site with the same description. Which one should I add to the list? I do not think I will be doing this job so, what do you think the cost would be?

- Throttle body gasket
- Upper intake manifold
- Upper intake manifold gasket
- Lower intake manifold gasket (aluminum)
- Aluminum coolant elbows
- Valve cover gaskets

Does anyone have suggestions/comments or additions to my list? Anyone know what the average shop would charge for labor? I am sure plenty of shops have done this before and know what is involved but, I would like to know beforehand. Can someone post the correct links to the parts I SHOULD use.

Edit: I am going to have the shop clean the manifolds, maf sensor, and check the pcv.

There goes my wishlist for income tax darn it. Oh well this needs to be fixed first before it causes more damage

I might just buy my dads 96 jetta 5spd for 1k and turn this impala into a project car

LOl at the title. oops

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oil in that area to me would be a sign of bad valve cover gaskets. Oil shouldn't be going into the upper or lower intake manifolds, even if their gaskets are bad, but it is very common for the valve cover gaskets to fail and leak oil in that area.

The other thing is, don't order the gaskets from ZZP. You can get them cheaper almost anywhere else. Try rockauto.com. I don't know how much a shop would charge you, but VC gaskets are an easy job for anyone with a little bit of mechanical know how.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oil in that area to me would be a sign of bad valve cover gaskets. Oil shouldn't be going into the upper or lower intake manifolds, even if their gaskets are bad, but it is very common for the valve cover gaskets to fail and leak oil in that area.

The other thing is, don't order the gaskets from ZZP. You can get them cheaper almost anywhere else. Try rockauto.com. I don't know how much a shop would charge you, but VC gaskets are an easy job for anyone with a little bit of mechanical know how.
I have seen some youtube videos of people replacing the UIM and when they pull it off the LIM is full of oil. This is my fear! I know the valve cover gaskets need to be replaced b/c of the oil/residue buildup around them but, I am sure there has to be another internal leak somewhere. I am losing about 2qrts per 3k miles. Last summer I was losing less than half that.

Found this link: 04 impala 3.8 oil leak-manifold gaskets or valve cover? - The Garage Journal Board

Makes me believe it is in fact the lim gasket's

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crappy camera but, you should be able to tell what's what

Oil sitting on LIM

Oil buildup where UIM meet LIM near thermostat/throttle body

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats it car is getting parked when I get my income taxes. It needs some more attention

I have read that a failing PCV (stuck open) can cause oil loss, is this correct? I have read somewhere on here that if you shake the pcv and hear the needle rattle that it is BAD. However my haynes manual says "if you dont hear the needle move its BAD". Which one is correct? Which way do you twist the pcv to remove? My haynes says counterclockwise.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright so here is the list for when tax's arrive. Can you guys go over it and see if everything looks good? Thanks guys

UIM (dorman part # 615-180): Buy Dorman - OE Solutions Intake Manifold 615-180 at Advance Auto Parts
LIM Gasket: Buy Felpro Intake Manifold Gasket Set MS 98014 T at Advance Auto Parts
Valve cover grommets: Buy Felpro Grommet Set ES 72833 at Advance Auto Parts
HV3 Insert: No sense in posting
Valve Cover Gaskets: FelPro - Valve Cover Gaskets for L36/L22 #FP-VS50080R
Aluminum Coolant Elbows: No sense
180 deg zzp Thermostat: " "
2.5" 304ss Downpipe: " "

Would you buy a cat'd downpipe or catless and get an 02 sim? Dont want to buy a zzp pcm yet as I may do an egr delete later down the line.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Still much cheaper for everything on rockauto. I work at advance part time and I get a 20% discount, and I still order on rockauto most of the time. The UIM (dorman 615180) is $130 at advance, $66 at rockauto.

Catted/non catted depends on your state's inspection. Do you think you can pass without a cat, even if you get the O2 sim?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
PCV should rattle, the valve needs to be free, no rattle=stuck. Should be able to twist it either direction, it should just be pushed in, no threads.

Reactions: g25racer

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still much cheaper for everything on rockauto. I work at advance part time and I get a 20% discount, and I still order on rockauto most of the time. The UIM (dorman 615180) is $130 at advance, $66 at rockauto.

Catted/non catted depends on your state's inspection. Do you think you can pass without a cat, even if you get the O2 sim?
My state does not have an emissions test so, no worries there. I have a couple concerns about the one on rockauto. Is it the revised one? Why is the dorman kit $66 when the ATP, Acdelco, etc are way more? I have read that the green/black gasket is the revised and the red/black is the original. Is this true? Nevermind they are both the same parts number so, it looks like I will be ordering from rockauto which, I prefer anyways.

PCV should rattle, the valve needs to be free, no rattle=stuck. Should be able to twist it either direction, it should just be pushed in, no threads.
Thank you sir for the confirmation :eek:k3:

Edit: What do you guys think about an egr delete? What is required to do so? Do I have to get a zzp pcm with the code deleted or no? This would be a great time to do this.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone have some more insight?

Does anyone know the correct torque specs for the lim, uim, and throttle body? I just want to make sure my haynes manual is correct as I will be using this during the job.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Your Haynes manual has the correct specs.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^ Thanks for fixing the title. lol

Just to clarify my haynes states

UIM - 89in/pounds
LIM - 132in/pounds
Valve Cover - 88in/pounds
Throttle body - ???

Can anyone recommend an inch/pound torque wrench for say $50-80? I am looking at this one:

The small amount of reviews is scaring me though. I have looked at the gearwrench ($100) and love what im seeing but, dont want to dish the cash for something I am probably only going to use for this job. And no I am not going to rent one from AA

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So here's the parts im going to replace. She should run like a champ and have a good amount of added power. I am going to take my time with this job and clean everything very well (maf, tb, etc), Also plan on painting the throttle body, fuel rail, and possibly the lim. What high temp engine paint do you guys recommend? Brushed on enamel?

Also when it comes time to clean the throttle body, is the mesh port screen easily taken out? How is it held in place? Would like to know if I have to order another one.

LIM gasket
Full UIM assembly (pcv, tb gasket, etc)
Fuel inj o-rings
Valve cover gaskets and possibly the covers
IAC Valve
Fuel pressure regulator
Spark plugs
180deg T-stat

ZZP

2.5" downpipe w/ o2 bung and plug
o2 emulator
HV3 insert
Alum coolant elbows

Between all the parts and tools I need to purchase it's going to run about $1300

I need a 1/4" torque wrench (in/lbs), impact sockets, ratchet straps for engine, etc. Also thinking about buying a rockwell 18v lithium impact for making things alot easier on the wrist.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Thats it car is getting parked when I get my income taxes. It needs some more attention

I have read that a failing PCV (stuck open) can cause oil loss, is this correct? I have read somewhere on here that if you shake the pcv and hear the needle rattle that it is BAD. However my haynes manual says "if you dont hear the needle move its BAD". Which one is correct? Which way do you twist the pcv to remove? My haynes says counterclockwise.
since the pcv is under $5 I would just replace anyways

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
since the pcv is under $5 I would just replace anyways
PCV comes with the UIM assembly. Was not aware of this full kit before this point.

Read my previous post. You beat me to it scotty

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
PCV comes with the UIM assembly. Was not aware of this full kit before this point.

Read my previous post. You beat me to it scotty
looks like a fun project!:beer:
I'm thinking about finding a 3800 s/c used to build over the next year or so for my impala. I honestly think I'm gonna take the plunge and do a 3400-3800 s/c swap. I know its gonna be a real PITA to do and not be too cheap at all but between me, my dad and the garage next door thats always willing to give a hand and/or loan out tools we should be able to pull it off. I know buying a ss would probably be cheaper, but I LOVE MY IMPALA. Another just wouldn't be the same.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^ I hear you bro. A s/c top swap would be sick but, a huge pita. But, with the wealth of information on the web, its def do-able. Many people have done this swap although, Im not sure if I have seen a 3400-3800s/c swap.

It's going to be a super fun project as long as I don't break any cable's/bolts, or fuel injectors. This is why I wanted another vehicle so I can take my time with my BABY!

Talked to my step dad again the other day about the jetta. He said 1k takes it. He paid $1600 2yrs ago and put all new brakes and tires on it. Sounds like a heck of a deal to me. It does have a bit of an exhaust leak but, that's easy enough to fix. Plus it's got a 5spd and a 1.4l 4cyl. Heck of good gas mileage and fun to drive while I still will miss the power of a v6.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I'd love to have a diesel jetta, I missed my chances with one for 750 a while back. Haven't heard much on the gasoline jettas tho. I'd say the jetta would be easier to mod too.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts