Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find some help on this before a take it to a mechanic for repair. I have a 1967 Impala 4-door sedan with a 327, Edelbrock performer 600cfm carb with electric choke, MSD vaccum advance distb, msd 6al ignition controller with MSD blaster 2 coil. Timing is great and it starts right up. The problem is fuel pressure. I have drop the tank and cleaned it, installed new sending unit, replaces all rubber lines with 3/8 fuel line. I have also installed new edelbrock fuel pump. New WIX inline fuel filter is before the pump and I have also used DEI fuel line insulator in the back where the line come about an inch and a half to the exhaust pipe. I have also insultated the fuel line after the pump leading to the carb. Inline with the carb is one of those cheapy Mr. Gasket fuel filters I am using to moniter fuel pressure while I troubleshoot. I also blew the fuel line and vent line with compressed air to ensure the lines were not clogged. After start up the clear filter begins to fill under idle, but when I put a load on it and the carb needs more fuel, there is none to be had. I removed the fuel pump to insure that I had the plunger arm correctly installed and to ensure the pump wasn't leaking. I am lost right now.:WTF:

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
My guess is that it's sucking air someplace. Have you clamped all the fuel lines with actual screw type clamps or using those spring loaded ones ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Screw type clamps, and replaced the fuel pump pushrod today. No change. I guess I'm going to have to check the metal line that runs from the tank to the engine bay.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Rubber pick up line at the top of the tank to the steel fuel lines that run in the frame. Did you change that one ?
I have had lines crack and not leak fuel but allow air to be sucked in.
A proper SOB to find.
One thing
Is the push-rod from the cam to the fuel pump nice and free in the bore ?
If it sticks or hangs up then you wont get full travel on the pump lever,
Also
How much push-rod travel do you have ?
Perhaps the cam lobe is tired/worn out.
All else fails try an electric fuel pump and see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts