Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the quest to personalize my 2014 LTZ, I am considering body colored mirror caps over the chrome ones that come standard on the LTZ.

I have three questions.

1. How does the mirror cap come off?

2. Can I resurface and repaint the chrome one on the car?

3. Has anyone in the group had any experience removing and re-installing the mirror caps on the 9th Gen Impala that can offer advice?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,290 Posts
I think that is an excellent idea. The chrome side strips on the LTZ look great but the chrome mirror caps are just too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chrome mirror caps look gaudy IMHO!

I think that is an excellent idea. The chrome side strips on the LTZ look great but the chrome mirror caps are just too much.
Thanks, guess I am not the only one who thinks the chrome mirror caps look gaudy!
 

·
Go Get It
Joined
·
15,055 Posts
I can't say for certain, as I've never taken a mirror cap off one of these late model Impalas, and different cars have different ways of attaching them. That being said, 85% of the time they just "pop" off. Mind you, it's not that easy and you definitely feel like you're going to break it. The problem being the other 15% of the time there's screws behind the glass that need to be removed.

In either case, you shouldn't be too worried about breaking them on removal. Paint does not like to adhere to the chrome surface. Sure, it will look good when you first install it, but over time stone chips and road debris will chip away at the paint to reveal the chrome underneath. Just do yourself a favor and buy the paintable covers. They may even come from GM already in color!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top