Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took it into 3 shops, and similar diagnoses.

1-2 shift solenoid is gummed up, and the Shift adapts are near maximum.

So I have three options.

Shift Solenoid : $600-700 bucks installed

Rebuilt Tranny: $1600-1700 w/ 12 month/12,000 warranty

Remanufactured transmission w/ a 3 year 100K warranty $2600

So of the three options, the transmission replacement seems the best option, since the car has 113,000 miles on it, and I plan on keeping it for a while.

What do you all think?

·
Banned
117 Posts
This is why it pays to have a mechanic friend.

I had a friend of mine do a tranny swap for me once for next to nothing.

Good luck and let us know how everything turns out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
whenever the car warms up and its been driven a little bit its jolts a bit and seems to miss the gear for like a second and then change gear, just the whole car doesnt seem like it was put together very well, the steering feels weird and it clicks when u turn the wheel a lot, i just feel like i need a new car before this one breaks down

·
Registered
557 Posts
The shift solenoids are a common problem, I do them practically in my sleep. I would personally just replace the solenoids, but that's up to you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talked to the 2nd mechanic today, his diagnosis is that the 2nd gear clutch is burned out.

The nice thing is that the price he quoted me for the tranny, is out the door, tax included.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Talked to the 2nd mechanic today, his diagnosis is that the 2nd gear clutch is burned out.

The nice thing is that the price he quoted me for the tranny, is out the door, tax included.
I'll hav eto post a pic of what i did to mine... LOL

It'll make you feel better about yours

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'll hav eto post a pic of what i did to mine... LOL

It'll make you feel better about yours
lol yea look at your sig lmao^^^^^ could u even reuse any part of your trans detroit????

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
lol... ummm..hmmmmmmmmmmm

ya the case ;)
htere were alot of hard parts i reused, there were alos alot that had to get replaced due to it being "heat treated" LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts