Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to sell a cherry 96 SS - Whats is worth? - PICS ADDED

Hello this is my first post on this forum.

I have a very nice 96 SS with the wx3 rear end and the Lt1 engine
all stock, all original - no mods ever done.

1996 Impala SS
dark cherry
98,xxxx
adult driven!
never wrecked
new z rated tires
grey interior no rips or tears...smells good
no dents, dings, etc etc
mint condition

Looking to maybe sell..?

located about an hour outside Nashville.

whats it worth?

suggestions?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
WX3 is not the rear end, thats the code for a true SS. G80 is your rearend code. 8-10K wouldn't be too much to ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still for sale

this vehicle is still for sale
same mileage.

located north of Nashville in Hopkinsville KY.

We no longer drive this car and have no desire to modify it in any way
it is bone stock, and in very good condition.

reply to this post or pm me for more details

I am adding this to CraigsList and also to AutoTrader this week.

asking 14,000 cash obo

·
Registered
371 Posts
I can see why. $14k for a 100k mile car is a bit much. I'd say you'll be lucky to get $10k for it TOPS. FWIW.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Let's put this another way. You have a 13yo car with 100K on it and you think depreciation is under 50% :laughing9:.

Look at Ebay once, looks like your price is TWICE what you could actually get.
Then again maybe the wife told you to sell it and this is your strategy?????

Everyone and their brother bought one of those with the idea they could make a buck on it so the market is relatively flooded with lower mileage cars, meaning nobody is making money on them.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Honestly i was gonna say around $14K,however after reading some of the replys,i would have to rethink that.

Your Impala SS is real nice thats for sure.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
These cars seemed to take a good 'hit' near the end of last year, so at this point I would think 10k would be lucky, 8k would be inline. You may not see SS's on the road everyday, but they haven't held the 'rare' price that alot of people thought they would.

·
Registered
303 Posts
These cars seemed to take a good 'hit' near the end of last year, so at this point I would think 10k would be lucky, 8k would be inline. You may not see SS's on the road everyday, but they haven't held the 'rare' price that alot of people thought they would.
Ever since gas briefly hit $4/gallon, our cars have taken a big hit in price. Check kbb.com for pricing info. It used to be that our cars sold for a lot more than kbb's prices, but not so much any more.

I ran the info that I had for your car through kbb and it give private party prices from about $7K to $8.5K [from my zip code, which may be lower priced because of the long term economic depression here].

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
The hit values took when gas spiked was again a perceived thing.

People look at these things and assume they get terrible mileage. They are floored to hear just over 20 average on my wagon and just under for the sedan with a whole lot more power.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Speaking of milage, I have to do some investigating because mine has dropped about 4 mpg in the past 2 months..MMMmmmmm. Still runs fine but damn that is a noticable hit.

·
Registered
371 Posts
When's the last time you gave your tires some love?

Just my $0.02 but the local tire shops have been advertising nitrogen gas fill-ups for tires. I decided to try it out (it was free anyway) and it seems to help. I don't have to air up anywhere near as often as before.

Plus it gave my mileage a little boost!

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
I have found a blend containing 78% nitrogen to work perfectly in tires.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have found a blend containing 78% nitrogen to work perfectly in tires.
That's great.... lol. Almost as good as people trying to outlaw dihydrogren-monoxide because it has killed people and is a dangerous solvent.

Pay attention in science class, kids.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
That is some nasty stuff, you should see the size of the hole it made is solid rock when spilled out by Vegas.:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
this vehicle is still for sale
same mileage.

located north of Nashville in Hopkinsville KY.

We no longer drive this car and have no desire to modify it in any way
it is bone stock, and in very good condition.

reply to this post or pm me for more details

I am adding this to CraigsList and also to AutoTrader this week.

asking 14,000 cash obo
I know what you mean. I love my car and can't think that someone else who wanted one wouldn't cut loose with $14K if it's good, like yours and mine. Mine's got 100K on it, got 23 mpg last weekend on a 325 mile trip, doesn't really have many problems and hasn't had many since I got it with 25K on the odo.

But, here we are in a supply and demand market. Is the car going to eventually become a classic in 12 more years and sell for $50K at the car auctions? There really weren't that many of them made. But then again, who is going to warehouse a glorified taxi cab/cop car for another 12 years?

Keith

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Within the last week I saw mention of one with 18 m iles on it and a friend works somewhere with one in storage at 700 miles.

Everyone and their brother thought they would "cash in" on these things, so many of them that IF it ever happens it will be LONG delayed.

If in another dozen years they are worth 50K at 25 years old so the math once on inflation, upkeep, storage, insurane, intrest if you took a loan etc. you will have still lost HUGELY compared to actually investing the money.

If invested concervatively and gained 3% annually $25K over the last 13 years would now be $36,713.

Cars are not a place to make or even save money, they are depreciating transportation and/or an expensive hobby.

Coworker is "restoring" a early 70s Boss 302, trying to keep it original but lacks the true original motor, the body was flared in the 80s, he keeps getting ripped off on "original" parts that endup being bad(cracked crank) or reproductions, AND he is paying labor:eek:. He thinks he can turn a profit :laughing9: .

I suffer no such delusions. I know that while my tranny works well at over 5 years old and having been built for much less power than I have that I need to build another one. The tranny and torque converter will cost more than the car is worth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When's the last time you gave your tires some love?

Just my $0.02 but the local tire shops have been advertising nitrogen gas fill-ups for tires. I decided to try it out (it was free anyway) and it seems to help. I don't have to air up anywhere near as often as before.

Plus it gave my mileage a little boost!
Sorry, but your mileage boost has nothing to do with the nitrogen gas. I'll bet my paycheck your air pressure was low and the when you pumped up your tires, u put brought up the pressure. Nothing to do with the nitrogen.

The debated benefit to nitrogen fills is that it doesn't expand and contract as much. That benefit is debated for high-performance driving, though, because high-performance tires need the contracting/expanding cycle to perform properly.

So lesson of the day, if it's free, go for it. Otherwise, fuggedaboudit.

Cheers :cool:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sorry, but your mileage boost has nothing to do with the nitrogen gas. I'll bet my paycheck your air pressure was low and the when you pumped up your tires, u put brought up the pressure. Nothing to do with the nitrogen.

The debated benefit to nitrogen fills is that it doesn't expand and contract as much. That benefit is debated for high-performance driving, though, because high-performance tires need the contracting/expanding cycle to perform properly.

So lesson of the day, if it's free, go for it. Otherwise, fuggedaboudit.

Cheers :cool:
Oh for sure. My point was that the nitrogen -seems- to keep pressure regulated a little better than plain ol' air. I don't have to air up near as often as I used to. The slight mileage boost was just due to proper pressure more often than not.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts