Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at an 09 with 63K for 12K, really nice. I have also been looking at older Buick Lucernes and LaCrosses, and the newer Regal. I currently have a Malibu Maxx with 160 k all original, I commute 80 miles a day so I want more comfort. Are the transmissions as bad as you all make them out to be? Would you buy one again?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
What year regal?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I'm a bigger fan of the regal than the 8th gen Impala...

Price difference?

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
Yeah go with the 2011 Regal, if you want to stick to GM if not get a Ford Taurus.

You guys: (OMG he said FORD)

Me: Yes, yes I did.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Impala is a good car overall. I haven't had any major problems with it and mine is a 2006. I think the transmission problems may be caused by or influenced by a few things like how hard the car is driven, the fluid used when the transmission fluid is changed, transmission powerflushes etc. If you want rear wheel power, check out the Charger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have always been a GM guy, looking about 20K max for a used car. To me, if a transmission gives up in 80 K miles, it isn't work buying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are looking at an Impala I would go with the 2012 or 2013 as dealerships are offering deep discounts since the 2014 Impala is out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
OP, your Malibu Maxx is basically the same vehicle, same Epsilon chassis used in 08-12 Malibu. The 2014 Impala uses the long wheelbase chassis same as the LaCrosse. The Regal uses the short wheel base version same as the Malibu.

No. Gf has a 2010 and everything has held up well. Has 6speed auto instead of this pos in impala
My wife has a 2008 Aura (same as Malibu/G6). Its common problems: door lock actuators, electric steering shutter (on Ecotec models, while V6 models with hydraulic steering occasionally get the intermediate shaft clunk similar to W-Bodies) and 20-30k brake relinings (we're about to do our 4th brake job at 60k). My main complaint is the low roof line getting in and out, plus the "triangle of death", and the trunk opening is small.

We like the car though cause it drives nice on the highway, good comfortable seating position for taller drivers, more back seat room than the W-Body. We did 31MPG on our weekend road trip in the Ecotec, not bad.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Triangle of death?

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you are looking at an Impala I would go with the 2012 or 2013 as dealerships are offering deep discounts since the 2014 Impala is out.
I remember when I bought my SS, 5 year old car, these '12 Impala LTZ (the 300hp, V6) were going for dirt cheap. They were trying to get me into one but I just wouldn't have it. But seriously the LTZs were listed at $15k and I could've probably talked it down a little bit too.

Should've got an LTZ with a 6 speed but I couldn't get around the LS4, the SS badges, the 18" wheels, the grunting exhaust... and I figured DoD would make up some MPG since I do mostly highway driving. And then I find out these cars have tranny problems. My only saving grace here is I'm at 5,000ft and I'm not making anywhere near 303hp and the trans is good. This car was damn near tailor made for me. :D

Impala isn't a bad car. So far I'm more than satisfied with it (bought mine in January). It has its share of glitches here and there. You can get a hell of a deal on them now. They're a steal fosho. Just make sure you get a damn warranty. That was something I opted out of. :bang:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Putting 25,000 miles a year on a car is tough for any of them, the issue is, I don't want to get a transmission every 2 years. Brakes, I feel fine with, transmissions are just too damn pricey to want to mess with.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Its tough reading forums and trying to make an educated guess about a car and how well it hold up. I recently bought an 08 with 96,000 miles on it for my younger daughter. It seems good and no problems with the tranny that I can tell. Keep in mind that people don't often post to forums and say "everything is O.K." They tend to only post when something goes wrong.

I bought a Dodge Ram with a Cummins about 16 months ago. If I read the forums on these trucks, they sound awfull, but they also often get driven a lot and rack up the miles. So far my has been a winner.

So to answer your question, read the forums to see what is a problem area and then when looking at a car, use your judgement.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
If you must have an Impala I would go for a 2012 or 2013 3.6/6 speed.

I like the newer malibus and regals. I would say the regal would be loaded with more creature comforts, if that's what you like.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Putting 25,000 miles a year on a car is tough for any of them, the issue is, I don't want to get a transmission every 2 years. Brakes, I feel fine with, transmissions are just too damn pricey to want to mess with.
If you don't floor the accelerator on a continual basis, the transmission should hold up okay. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Looking at an 09 with 63K for 12K, really nice. I have also been looking at older Buick Lucernes and LaCrosses, and the newer Regal. I currently have a Malibu Maxx with 160 k all original, I commute 80 miles a day so I want more comfort. Are the transmissions as bad as you all make them out to be? Would you buy one again?
JDC,

Personally I love my 08' Impala SS for it's simple design. Yes I admit it's not perfect but it's easy to drive and so far on my car I'm approaching the 30K mark and so far no engine,tranny issues as I've read from this forum.

As for the tranny issues I drive normally even though I have a V-8 engine and I never race my car at all like some others have done on there's and now it appears they have trannny problems.

Durango

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I run the $hit out of my 2002, cars are ment to be driven and should hold up to it with proper maintenance. I don't blame the driver, I blame gm for their Poor quality... Skimping out here and there to gain a slightly larger profit. In the good Ol days they designed cars to last and hold up well. If they still done this they would have a lot higher customer retention.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts