Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about five months i been dealing with P0172 "Bank 1 system to rich" last couple of weeks, my cold start and idle was rough,it was bad, So replaced the o2 sensor downstream as it was "stuck in rich"( had code for that as well,once replaced the code was gone) and had the code clear, then on Sunday the light and code came back , no code for the o2 sensor , so I did some reading and replaced the purge solenoid , heading home, the light went off and the car drove good, today cold start was good and the idle was fine, but while heading out to eat the light came back on and sure enough it's the same code.

So to sum all that up, My cold start was bad and the car was not even starting barley, I replaced the o2 sensor and that kept the light off for a day, I replaced the purge solenoid, and my car liked that as it starts up normal and the rough idle is back to normal, but that lasted for a day and now my check engine light is back on with the same code, Guess since the light is back on I'll see how it starts up in the morning, it's only the 1st start up of the day that's been rough... It's a awful code to trace and try to find a fix

·
Registered
588 Posts
What all have you done? Why did you choose to install new o2 Sensor and the Purge Solenoid?

Did you try and Clean your MAF? Have you checked your system for Leaks? Have you checked your Fuel Pressure?

James

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
For about five months i been dealing with P0172 "Bank 1 system to rich" last couple of weeks, my cold start and idle was rough,it was bad, So replaced the o2 sensor downstream as it was "stuck in rich"( had code for that as well,once replaced the code was gone) and had the code clear, then on Sunday the light and code came back , no code for the o2 sensor , so I did some reading and replaced the purge solenoid , heading home, the light went off and the car drove good, today cold start was good and the idle was fine, but while heading out to eat the light came back on and sure enough it's the same code.

So to sum all that up, My cold start was bad and the car was not even starting barley, I replaced the o2 sensor and that kept the light off for a day, I replaced the purge solenoid, and my car liked that as it starts up normal and the rough idle is back to normal, but that lasted for a day and now my check engine light is back on with the same code, Guess since the light is back on I'll see how it starts up in the morning, it's only the 1st start up of the day that's been rough... It's a awful code to trace and try to find a fix
Hi Bowlingguy,

I’m sorry to read that you’re still experiencing this repeat concern with your Impala after replacing your O2 sensor and purge solenoid. Though we are unable to determine the root cause of your Check Engine Light illumination, we’re happy to bring this to your dealership’s attention, if you haven’t already.

Please don’t hesitate to send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and preferred dealership name if we can be of assistance in any way!

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What all have you done? Why did you choose to install new o2 Sensor and the Purge Solenoid?

Did you try and Clean your MAF? Have you checked your system for Leaks? Have you checked your Fuel Pressure?

James
I have only done what I said... I installed a new O2 downstream sensor as it was "stuck rich" and causing a code. I replaced that cleared the code drove for a day and then had check engine light came back on, This time it was on only for P0172, "Bank 1 system to rich" So I did some searching and found out that the purge solenoid can cause all the symptoms I'm dealing with , so I buy one of them, Install it and well that helped out! The car starts up much better, I still have a bit of a rough idle but nothing like it was before replacing the purge solenoid,the check engine light actually went off by itself for a day before coming back on yesterday evening in which made me sad, as i actually thought i had it fixed but wasn't to be.
Yes I cleaned my MAF, I have not been able to check fuel pressure, Not sure how or I do not think i have a way to, Outside of the purge solenoid causing a vacuum leak(which i think it was) I have not noticed any or hear any... but it could still have a leak, I'm not sure.

Going to install new set of plugs soon, They are either OEM plugs and if that's the case they have 146092 miles on them, or they have about 60K but If the front bank is rich, I'm assuming they are fouled and they might be the reason for P0172 code. I'm sadly not able to remember if I put plugs in this car or not... getting old lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bowlingguy,

I’m sorry to read that you’re still experiencing this repeat concern with your Impala after replacing your O2 sensor and purge solenoid. Though we are unable to determine the root cause of your Check Engine Light illumination, we’re happy to bring this to your dealership’s attention, if you haven’t already.

Please don’t hesitate to send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and preferred dealership name if we can be of assistance in any way!

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care

sent you a pm

·
Registered
588 Posts
Understand the Old problem sadly I have had that problem for the last 20 years lol
I would hate for you to have to just drop parts to try and help with your problem. I know that it is a pain in the back side to have problems like these. Anyway I am not sure that you would want to buy a Kit but is good for many reasons and handy to have on hand when needed. At Harbor Freight you can pick up a Fuel Gauge kit for around 20$. Kit # 92699 The Good thing about the Impala is they have the connection for running this test. Maybe even your local Car Parts store has the ability to rent one out to you for a Deposit. Once returned they return the deposit.

If you have a Scan tool that you can look over your Data live or by history I would check a few things, If your able to look at, 02, LTFT and STFT, RPM, and if the tool is able to look over your MAF I would set them up and look over the Trim data, Also if able to set to look at RPM.

LTFT= Long Term Fuel Trim and S for Short. I would also look at both Bank one and bank two for good measures.

Reason I say this is because it could be and not easy to tell really without more testing that your Stuck 02 was caused by a Leaking Injector as well. The problem is without being able to look over your Long and Short Fuel Trims it could be that the issue was still there. May have taken some time to trip a code again after you cleared and replaced your 02. The 02 may have got that stuck issue because of another issue on your system. So the long and Short were at the max for the Rich issue and over time when there is no more room for it to travel both long and Short are stuck at say -35 or what ever the max is. This may have given that 02 bad report. Like I said I am not sure what the problem is really without looking at the data and even then without being there with car in front of a person it is hard to say.

My hole thought is in this, I just would hate to see you drop money on parts that were not needed. How ever without doing normal tune up and things like that some parts may be due anyway so your not out anything in the end. Just not a fixed issue...

In the end what may have been an issue for one may not always be the case for another. I just try and offer some help with ideas of here to look and with hope to keep the cost of Repairs down. Hope you can find the Fault and have your car back running well again soon...

James

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the temp as gone up a bit and now my cold start up is nearly normal, the idle still doesnt sound good (to me)... and the car runs fine(from what i can tell), anyway It seems this problem I have does not like the cold air at all, Does that help with finding or pointing me in a direction>?>?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Bowlingguy, what year is your Impala and how many miles are on it? Reason I ask is you have an 80,000 mile emissions warranty on it, which starts from the car's in service date. Covered repairs are done at no charge to you during the emissions warranty, which is separate from the 3 year/36K bumper to bumper warranty.

To take an educated guess on the car, I would say to look for a vacuum leak and if you find any, fix them and see if that resolves anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its a 09 with around 150K, no warranty left
Thanks!

I rather have a vac leak over a injector leaking or a cylinder down

·
Registered
699 Posts
I doubt you have a cylinder down because you don't have a misfire code. It would be cylinder specific if this were the case. My thinking on a vacuum leak is that the unmetered air will throw the ECM off and it can dump more fuel trying to compensate for it. Worth a look with a can of starting fluid or brake cleaner while the engine is running. Spray around the intake manifold and any vacuum hoses and if there is a hiccup in the idle, you found the culprit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my alcohol consumption was at 78% and my LTFT and STFT both was around -10 and -17, had my buddy reset them clear the code and so far it's being running good! no hard start in the cold, the idle still doesnt sound right to me, a bit rough for me, not sure what that could be. but no light and all seems to be okay so maybe it's fixed??

·
Registered
699 Posts
If he cleared the codes, you'll have to give it a few trip cycles before all of the ECM monitors are reading 100%. It must not be a hard code because the check engine light would have come right back on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
guess not, I just know the light is off and i have no issues like i was so, I assume its good?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Give it a few days and see what happens... If the light comes back on, get it scanned but do not erase it... Post back with the info...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no problems and no light on, having my buddy reset the alcohol consumption and fuel trim has done the job it seems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well spoke to soon sadly, the light is back on for the same code, So what would cause my alcohol consumption % to go high and trigger this code?

It did work fine for 31 day's, I wonder if I need a pcm update or flash? or is there a sensor that can cause this code and no I have not put in any E85 at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does my 09 impala have a Flex fuel sensor?? I can not seem to find it on rockauto site?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Dunno. Should have some sort of sensor to determine alcohol content. Alcohol/fuel ratio. Edit: After researching a bit, it sounds like you may need to reset the fuel/alcohol composition again with a Tech 2 or Snap-On scanner...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.