Impala Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Weird, huh? Do you happen to know if my car would support keyless entry? The guy I bought it from (third or fourth owner) said he never got key fobs.
See if the radio has the keyfob programming option. My 2000 has programming related to: doorlocks, keyfob programming, chirps, lights, oil life reset and tire pressure monitor reset.

Keyfob programming deletes all of the FOBS and then you add up to 4 back.

The only reason I'm still leaning that direction is that I don't want to run a REM wire from my new deck to my new amp, but after I get this firewall plug removed to feed the 4-gauge, I might talk myself into doing exactly that.
That should be your Antenna lead.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Do you happen to know if my car would support keyless entry? The guy I bought it from (third or fourth owner) said he never got key fobs.
I don't think so.

I decoded your RPO sticker, and don't see any sign of remote or keyless entry in the list. Nor is there any indication of tire pressure monitoring which shares the same radio gear. So if you wanted to add keyless entry, you would need to get an aftermarket unit.

Here's the breakdown of your RPOs. Below that is a short list of RPOs which pertain to keyless entry (but there are probably more codes not listed here).

Doug

AK5
RESTRAINT SYSTEM,FRONT SEAT,INFLATABLE
AM6
SEAT,FRONT SPLIT,3 PASSENGER WITH CENTER ARMREST
CJ3
AIR CONDITIONER,FRONT,MANUAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL,AUXILIARY TEMPERATURE CONTROL
DG7
MIRROR,OUTSIDE,RH & LH REMOTE CONTROL,ELECTRIC(PAINTED)
DL5
DECAL ROADSIDE SERVICE INFORMATION
FE1
SUSPENSION SYSTEM,SOFT RIDE
FE9
FEDERAL EMISSION CERTIFICATION
FQ3
RATIO TRANSAXLE FINAL DRIVE 2.86
IQB
TRIM,INTERIOR DESIGN
JB9
BRAKE LIGHT WEIGHT, DISC/DISC
J65
BRAKE SYSTEM,POWER,FRONT AND REAR DISC
K34
CRUISE CONTROL,AUTOMATIC,ELECTRONIC
K43
GENERATOR 102 AMP
LA1
ENGINE GAS, 6 CYL, 3.4L, MFI, HO
MX0
TRANSMISSION,AUTOMATIC,OVERDRIVE(MERCHANDISING OPTION)
M15
TRANSMISSION,AUTO 4 SPD,HMD,4T65-E ENHANCED ELECTRONIC
NF7
EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, NLEV
NK5
STEERING WHEEL(STANDARD)
OSH
PLANT CODE-OSHAWA 1 ONT,GM OF CANADA
QB5
WHEEL 16 X 6.5, STEEL, H.D.
QPX
TIRE ALL P225/60R16-97S BW R/PE ST TL ALS
SLM
SALES PROCESSING, STOCK ORDERS
UE0
COMMUNICATION SYSTEM VEHICLE, G.P.S.---NOT INSTALLED
UN0
RADIO,AM/FM,STEREO,SEEK/SCAN,COMPACT DISC,AUTO TONE,CLOCK,ETR
UQ3
SPEAKER SYSTEM,PERFORMANCE ENHANCED AUDIO
U2E
CLUSTER,INSTRUMENT(COOLANT TEMPERATURE,TRIP ODOM,OIL GA)
U77
ANTENNA RR WINDOW, RADIO
VH9
ENVELOPE,OWNER INFORMATION MANUAL
VM3
LABEL INFORMATION CONSUMER, CONTAINS BPR IMP STANDARD FOR FRT 5 MPH & RR 5 MPH
V73
VEHICLE STATEMENT - US/CANADA
1SA
PACKAGE-OPTION 01
52B
TRIM COMBINATION CLOTH, LT NEUTRAL
52I
INTERIOR TRIM LIGHT NEUTRAL
6RD
COMPONENT- COMPUTER SELECTED, SUSPENSION
7RD
COMPONENT- COMPUTER SELECTED, SUSPENSION
8HW
COMPONENT RR LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (8HW)
9HW
COMPONENT RR RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (9HW)

5L1
40600 C LOCK CONTROL REMOTE, KEYLESS ENTRY, PASSIVE (SEO) 980622 E T T
AE5
1 7 6 P LCE R LOCK CONTROL, ENTRY REMOTE ENTRY, LOW POWER, START 11024 E 4 E A
AE6
1 7 7 P LCE R LOCK CONTROL, ENTRY REMOTE ENTRY, SPECIFIC FREQUENCY, START 11024 E 4 E
AP3
5 7 0 P LCE R LOCK CONTROL, ENTRY REMOTE, KEYLESS ENTRY, START 1 1 8 E 3 E
AP5
5 7 2 P LOCK CONTROL REMOTE, KEYLESS ENTRY, PASSIVE 1 1 9 E 0 E
AP7
5 7 4 P LCE R LOCK CONTROL, ENTRY REMOTE, KEYLESS START, PASSIVE 1 1 8 E 0 E
AU0
7 4 7 P LCE R LOCK CONTROL, ENTRY REMOTE ENTRY 970124 E E E
A97
1294 P LCE R LOCK CONTROL, ENTRY REMOTE ENTRY - W/O ANTI THEFT PROTECTION 990826 E B E
UA5
25952 P TDS R THEFT DETERENT SYS PASSIVE, KEYLESS ENTRY/SECURITY

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I saw a video with the head unit zip tied to the package tray. Was that you?
No, mine was a little more elegantly installed :)

The only reason I'm still leaning that direction is that I don't want to run a REM wire from my new deck to my new amp <snip>
The REM wire is already in the trunk. It goes to the factory amp (connector C1, pin B5) and also to the antenna module (in the driver's side C-pillar, IIRC) . It's in the drawings I posted.

Doug

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
See if the radio has the keyfob programming option. My 2000 has programming related to: doorlocks, keyfob programming, chirps, lights, oil life reset and tire pressure monitor reset.
Mine does not. Thanks for refreshing my memory on that. I also don't have a LIGHTS menu, so aside from OIL, I have no use for the factory radio. See next reply concerning the antenna lead...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The REM wire is already in the trunk. It goes to the factory amp (connector C1, pin B5) and also to the antenna module (in the driver's side C-pillar, IIRC) . It's in the drawings I posted.
Right. Can you help me trace that back to the radio connector pin? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to spend money on the integration interface at this point. All I want is for the radio to work and turn on an amp, and I'm really not concerned about anything else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
While we are on the subject or radios, I have an idea could be a cool way to add aux inputs to the factory radio. This would have to be designed from scratch and I definately don't have the time for it.

1. The radio would be tuned to any strong station. The levels of the new AUX input would be determined by the RMS levels of the radio source and each speaker. So you have to control 4-6 inputs to the amp from a new stereo source.

2. If you get a long (Aux) or short (Normal) beep tone in the left front speaker similarly to chimes shortly after the radio turns on (monitor remote lead) that confirms the current selection. Volume of the beeps are set manually.

3. If you turn the radio off for say 5s and back on again and here a short beep tone, you have selected AUX input. Otherwise, the selection toggles. A short beep would be heard if the normal inputs are selected. Nothing would be heard if you missed the window.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts