Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Need some advice. I'm looking at purchasing a 2015 Impala LS, 2.5L Engine. It has 39K miles on it. Fleet car originally. 2 owners afterward.

Everything looks pretty good except I pulled the dipstick and noticed some fine metal glint. At first I panicked but I'm wondering if its coming from the aluminium dipstick tube that has a sharp bent at the top and the dipstick has some rough edges at the tip? I took a few photos. I like the car and I'm considering buying it but this isn't good.

https://imgur.com/a/8nfcoES

Thank you for any insight

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I don't know - between having 3 owners on a 2015 vehicle, with the first one being a fleet owner - then on top of that see metal flakes in the oil, I think I'd look elsewhere. There is probably a reason why those 2nd and 3rd owners got rid of it so quickly.

Then again, there could be nothing wrong with it. But I would have to think that there are lots of other 2015 Impalas out there without the metal flakes and maybe only 1 previous "personal" owner. Kind of have to go with the odds here...

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jtrosky. Yeah I don't like to hear that I should look else where. Ugh.
I'm considering asking the dealer ( Its a Lincoln dealer) to drain the oil and let me look at it.
I want to believe it's the dipstick tube/dipstick machining but I'm not sure....

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Agree with jtrosky, would have to pass on a car that has any metal showing on the dipstick and a quick turnover by the past 2 owners. Way too many of these cars out there, not worth taking the risk. Car was likely abused and possibly missed proper oil change interval. Also agree with finding a car with the 3.6 v-6.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just played with the dipstick again ;)
There is significant resistance when putting it back in. Seriously.
I just wonder if on the 4 cylinder the dipstick tube with that almost 90 degree bend is causing this.

Also I do like the 6 cylinder but prefer fuel economy and it seems the car is a little less expensive.
My last car I kept 13 years......Toyota Camry. Much more roomy in this but anyways thats my thinking.

Here is the actual car history report:
I thought it said Fleet, and it does but its with a list of options...looks more like a leased vehicle.
https://www.cars.com/ajax/coreshoppingsupportapi/1.0/listing/vhr/770806009?linklocation=detail&aff=national
01/16/2015 ORLANDO, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL(Leased Vehicle)
TITLED OR REGISTERED AS A RENTAL VEHICLE, OR PART OF A RENTAL FLEET

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the help everyone.
With everyone's thoughts on saying skip over this car and such.... it wore at me ... although I was falling in love with the car!
I took the car back and the salesmen was busy with another customer. So the dealer manager came out to look at the situation with me.
He wasn't argumentative or anything but after he pulled the dipstick out and said it looked clean........ i asked if i could run my fingers thru the oil and.... out popped a nice metal flake. There was a bit of a pause then in the conversation.... After a bit he said he was fine with me taking it somewhere else for a 3rd party look at the issue....but I got the feeling he didn't like discovering that in the car.

I told the manager i'd call the salesmen in the morning but I'm thinking I'm gonna put this car to bed!
Next on my list to try out a 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to look at a 2015 Impala with a V6 tomorrow.
It is listed on cars.com as "Fuel Type: E85 Flex Fuel" and the dealer website it doesn't mention this.
Is a FlexFuel engine somehow less powerful due to its dual ability to run both types of fuel?

Also this one is a lease vehicle vs fleet.
AutoCheck Vehicle History Report:
09/28/2015 WARREN, MI Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL(Leased Vehicle)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Most of the V-6 engines are Flex Fuel, they did build some without but not many. If it has a yellow fuel cap it is Flex Fuel. Same Power, Same Engine, not an issue.

·
Registered
157 Posts
certified warranty was worth it on my fleet 2016

If you are looking at models in the 2015-2018 range, then I would try to find one with a certified warranty. If you don't mind having an older generation Impala, the 2014-2016 Limited were all pretty much fleet vehicles, but the design of the car is a carry over of the previous generation of Impalas. Still a good vehicle, just not as highly regarded by Consumer Reports and other car rating places. But a heck of a bargain if you can get one. Even better if you find one with a GM certified warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay. Trouble logging in.

Here is the car.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/777540148/overview/

Darn on those models being fleet cars.
I have been looking for gm certified but not seeing many with low miles in my price range. I do see that the one i listed about above looks to still have the powertrain warranty for 6 more months. Any thoughts on that?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The year before we bought our 2012 new, we looked at several advertised as "certified pre owned" low mile 10 and 11 impala's on a very large(for this area) chevy dealer. From what I could get out of the used sales manager the cars were not actually certified until after the buyer committed and that fee was tacked on for having their mechanics go through the car to actually certify it. Seemed a shady practice to me and the prices on some of those 2 model year old cars took them to near new price. We walked out the door after being misled. Be careful with looking at used and some of the warranties as well as what fees they are charging.

Reactions: wiz-car

·
Registered
121 Posts
The one you're looking will have an expired warranty by the end of the year as well. 2014 had a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. 2015 was only 60,000 miles. If anything is going to go wrong with these cars after you buy them, it'll most likely be in that time frame.
Actually 2014 & 2015 are 5 Year/100,000 Miles, 2016 on up is 5 Year/60,000 Miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Everyone.
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I really appreciate it. You guys have a nice community here and that's good to see.

So I test drove the 2015 V6 I listed a few posts back.
It's got more power and its great for passing another car.
Comparing to the 4cyl it does have more juice but the 4 cyl wasn't to doggy. This car wasn't to well kept inside (photos look decent but in person I got a different vibe)....made me leery of the maintenance. The sticker on the window said "as is" but the sales manager said it had 1 1/2 years of manufacture warranety or till 52k miles (47k on it now). Seems better than nothing. Strange to have it at 52k... maybe they figured i'll pass the mileage first before the time frame.

One thing that is confusing to me is that I checked the oil again and there was tiny microscopic metal in it again. No flakes this time like the 4cyl but microscopic metal bits (like if you had a metal file and filed metal). You can't see it on the dipstick but when you grab the dipstick at the end and drag your index finger and thumb across to get a sample and rub it between your fingers you see metal glints (not air bubbles). I test drove 2 Ford's this evening and none had any metal in the oil neither does my current car. Is this normal? Shouldn't the oil filter be picking this stuff up? For a leased vehicle I thought it would have frequent oil changes.

I'm going to start watching GM certified listing for more cars to checkout. I really do prefer some warranty.
VladThe: Thanks for the tip on the limited 2014-2016 fleet Impalas....i'll check for them.
Joes74: I'll keep the route 66 warranty in mind. Nice to know.

RobHazmat: I like that Impala and the color but I'm trying to stay under 50k miles but around that price. Maybe thats a long shoot though. I don't know the longevity of these cars but that's why I picked 50k, still young enough to properly maintain and halfway to 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
2014 had a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. 2015 was only 60,000 miles.
Wrong. Our 2015 Impala has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty but it is up in October of this year. My 2015 Sierra also has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty which is up in July next year

Reactions: ICUBB

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Cool, I was off by a year. Have a cookie.
No thank you, I would rather have correct information given.
The 5 years was correct for 2014 and 2015. Where you went wrong was thinking the 2015 was only warranted for 60,000 miles, it is actually 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
329 Posts
When you're looking at a used car, have the dealer show you the carfax report on it. It will show any service work done on it. It's amazing to see rental fleet cars that get their 1st oil change whenever a dealership buys them at auction and offers them for sale on their lot. Usually with 20 to 30 thousand miles on them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts