Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I need help pinpointing what the problem might be with my fuel pump or at least what i think is my fuel pump. I'm thinking it may be electrical, but I'd like some help as I am a first time SS owner and not too familiar with them. I came home from work one day and had the car idling, went in the house for a minute, came back out and it was dead. The motor would rotate, but car would never start. I let it sit overnight, then went out the next morning and it started right up and i was able to drive to work. Got home that day and had to go back out a few mins. later. Went out to the car and it wouldn't start again. I realized my fuel pump wasn't kicking on, so i dropped the gas tank and replaced the pump , the fuel filter and strainer. A few days later the problem started again. A relative suggested that i vent the gas tank. I pulled the cap off and let the pressure off the tank, then put it back on loosely, and the car started right up. After that I assumed it was vapor lock. Now i run with my gas cap loose but secure, the problem still occurs from time to time. I know this is a lot of reading, but i wanted to give the whole scenario. Does anyone have any suggestions where to start? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
288 Posts
How did the wiring look when you replaced your fuel pump? More often than not, it is burned up wiring that leads to the failure of these fuel pumps, so replacing the pump and not addressing the poor quality oem wiring will lead to more failures down the road.

If you really want to ensure that the problem is fuel related, you will need to get a fuel pressure gauge and attach it to the schrader valve that is on the fuel pressure regulator near the egr valve behind the intake manifold. Another thing you can do to verify the pump is running is to jump it with the fuel pump test lead that is on the passenger side near the A/C compressor. It is a plain red wire that is not connected to anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Maesstro,
My uncle/mechanic will be in town this week. So we'll start w/ the wiring harness. it didn't look that bad, but i want to rule out as much as possible. i'm thinking this is the problem. he'll be here all week so if the wiring is not the problem, we'll have time to run the other tests you suggested.

Thanks again

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey maesstro?

Hey maesstro I noticed you said something about the wires on the fuel pump,, well I just brought down my tank and the wires didn't look too great,, do they have new wiring for that particular part or can it just be fixed with the proper clips and parts?,, thanx for your help!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes, the wiring harness is available. If you want oem, RMS autoparts should carry it. If you want aftermarket, racetronix has a complete kit that includes in tank wiring, the bulkhead connector, new ground, and a complete re-routing of the power connection. You can also order the parts individually from racetronix, but if you do go with them do some more research. Several people on the other forum have had issues with them lately. Of course, that doesn't mean you will, but at least you'll be prepared and know what to do if so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
feul pump prob

go under the hood and check your fuse box the fuse 4 da injectors mite not be gettin a good connection . also try renting a scan tool from your local auto parts store

·
Registered
75 Posts
there are so many things that it could be, i have researched on the ss and the OIL pressure switch is just a faux guage it basically registers if there is pressure or not. it does not specify how much. The other thing is that what powers that is a fuel pump cut-out switch on the back side of the block. What it does is apply voltage to the fuel pump once the engine has started. If the switch fails or the oil pump fails u will loose voltage to the pump thus creating your no start issue. My .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts