Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in the title, I've been using Mobil 1 for close to 20 years without any issues what so ever. But I have been curious about trying other synthetics like Amsoil or Royal Purple. What are the opinions of the other two when comparing them to M1?

In my Acura RSX-S and my Chevy Silverado I change their oil and filter every 5k. The Impala will have the same intervals once I bring it home from Colorado on Friday. Any comments or opinions are welcome!

·
Super Moderator
3,921 Posts
Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™
You will get a LOT better oil information there. There are only a FEW of us here who know much about oil and what we do know comes from there.

Very important to note there are a lot of quality products out there, but quality does not always mean works best for a particular application, different engines place different demands on oils. I know when I was spending a lot of time there M1 5W30 was awesome in a 1.8t VW or Audi but in a LT1 or LS1 it was mediocre iron content in particular was high in used M1 from LT1s and LS1s. It also tended to thin out with use and was thin to start so many would go up a grade to account for that.

Amsoil on the other hand often oxidized and thickened with age and was usually on the think end of a grade to start.

Back then the running joke about Royal Purple was "it shears out of grade pouring from the bottle" meaning it sheared at the molecular level and got a lot thinner fast, did great in short use intervals like racing but not so much on the street.

I will say it has been a few years since I spent a lot of time there but it is still THE go to source for oil info. The Used Oil Analysis section is a great resource, lets folks share the actual wear metal content of their used oil which is the best test we have available to us to see if an oil is actually working.

·
Registered
823 Posts
^Agree totally

The Amsoil is rated for a rediculous change interval tho. Rediculous like 100k. The filter would be so effed after 7k I just dont see it.

·
Super Moderator
3,921 Posts
Amsoil expects periodic filter changes and the pint of oil that goes with that gets replaced which helps a fair bit in replacing the additives in the oil. Really long intervals require "bypass filtration" too which super filters a small portion of the oil all the time. Some bypass filter setups actually use a roll of toilet paper and constantly run a small portion of the oil through it. A full flow filter like engines come with can't filter very small particles, something like this does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts