Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,999 Posts
put on front pads and rotors over the weekend. went on test drive and heard noise. apparently when i was distracted by phone call, i didnt tighten up the caliper bolts on one side. one bolt was missing and other one was starting to loosen

i checked all bolts on both sides and tightened again to be sure.

however after taking it on my long drive to work i now hear something loose. its only moderate and not as loud as when i lost a bolt. but when i go back under there if the bolts are loose, should i use loctite?

never used loctite on SS and never had issues. also changed out the rotors 50K ago and never had issues. of course until i get under there i dont truly know if this is even the issue. i used the new clips. perhaps i didnt put them on quite right. ugh. i just know the noise shouldnt be there.
I don't like Loctite being used on the caliper mounting bracket bolts nor the slide pins. I've dealt with it removing someone else's handy work. It can be a bear getting the bracket bolts out after they've been glued in. (Remember, red Loctite is red super-glue, albeit a little milder.)

If they're torqued properly (and not somehow damaged), I cannot see them coming loose. Keep in mind, the torque specs on the bracket bolts is on the order of 100 foot pounds - they ain't coming loose :)

So now you need to find out what's wrong with yours. After you re-tightened them, they should not have come loose, unless there's some damage there, such as a stripped bolt or hole.

Or maybe it's something else making the latest noise. Whatever it is, I hope it's an easy fix for you.

BTW, what did you use for the replacement bolt?

Doug

[Edit] That said, in the manual it says to use thread locker:

Apply THREADLOCKER, GM P/N 12345493 (Canadian P/N 10953488) or equivalent, to the threads of the brake caliper bracket bolts (2).​

That crosses to high temp red Loctite.

Permatex 24026 - Threadlocker RED | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I was looking up the bracket bolt torque, 133 foot pounds for my 07 SS, when I saw that recommended.

I don't like contradicting the manual - I follow it 99% of the time - but I'm still not a fan of using thread locker on those bolts :|

· Registered
2,999 Posts
i cannot explain it but i didnt get it to 100 with the wrench.
To be clear, the front bracket bolts are 133 ft-lbs. The bolts for the front guide pins are 26 ft-lbs.

Rears are: bracket 88 ft-lbs, guide pins 32 ft-lbs. Data for 2006-2010 Impalas, Haynes Repair Manual. I assume it still applies to the 2014 models.

Doug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.