Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I'm new and just wanted to know if anybody knew where the Coolant Temp Sensor was located. I don't want to spend crazy money getting a $12 part installed on my car if I can do it my self or at least direct my mechanic to exactly where it is. Thanks for all help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What made you think it was bad? Just asking because these cars have problems with the cluster going out and making you think it's other things lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think i need mine changed too

my temp guage floats into the red while im stopped and while im driving it goes back to normal and then rises and falls again

·
Registered
2 Posts
location of the coolant sensor

i was tring to find it on my car the check engine light came on and had it checked and it said the sensor is bad can you help me find it

·
Registered
2 Posts
pictures may be would be cool

i was trying to look on line for pictures of the location but no such help

·
Registered
86 Posts
my temp guage floats into the red while im stopped and while im driving it goes back to normal and then rises and falls again
The T-stat a pretty easy install on the 3800, if your gonna change it i would suggest getting a 180* stat from ZZP or another w-body site

but to me the rising and falling temps seem to be a fan issue over a t-stat issue... I may be wrong but the car moving isn't going to affect the opening and closing of the T-stat. Have you checked to see if fan #1 is strongly moving at idle ? I had a fan #1 go bad on me which started to car to over heat because the fan was moving slower then normal, when temps would get to a certain point (as dictated by the PCM) then fan # 2 would turn on and help out with to lower the temps... the speed of the car would help rotate fan #1 as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i know this is late, but for future referrence, flush your coolant, change termostat and temp. sensor. It will cost you less than $50 for the parts. DONNOT buy your parts from autozone, parts look the same but they blew my intake in less than an hour after replacing them. the Temp. sensor is right in front of the termostat below the throttle body on the right side of the engine. Replace both, and again do not buy your parts from autozone. Also check your fuses in the lower fuse box under the hood, 9/10 times you will need to replace the 25AMP fuse ( it's clear).Your heating problem is Dextron, it clogs up your coolant passage, use regular 50/50 antifreeze instead. After you have fixed your issues, your best bet is to get rid of your impala ASAP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts