Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Impala with the 3500 engine. Have been trying to find the Low Pressure Service Port without any success. I've been to the dealer, they accessed AllDataPro, gave me a printout showing the pressure sensor. According to the physical size of the port near the sensor, it appears to actually be the High Pressure Service Port near the air cleaner (driver side). The low pressure quick disconnect on my gage will not fit this port.

Would appreciate any leads or info the members might have.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Funny enough, I was working on this project last night. The AC low pressure service port is directly behind the engine, about 5-6 inches back, in the center. Look for the two silver pipes coming out of the firewall. The larger silver pipe has the AC low pressure service port sticking out the top with a black dust cap. You can't really mess up the connections, as the low pressure port diameter is smaller than the high pressure port diameter, so the attachments are built to spec.

I found the port ok, but unfortunately I am having trouble getting the refrigerant out of the can and into the system. I am connecting the can using this, with an R-134A coupler at the port connection:

Amazon.com: Enviro-Safe R12/R22 Can Tap with Gauge - R-134a Can to R-12/R-22 Port: Automotive

Unfortunately, after piercing the can, cranking AC up and opening the tap, no refrigerant is coming out. Anyone have any idea why? What should be my next step? Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can try this method,I've used it myself but I am by no means an ac mechanic.Put your can of freon into a container with hot water in it.That forces freon out of the can.Don't submerge it just like halfway up the can.Also always keep the can upright so the freon enters your system as a gas not a liquid which it would be if you inverted it.Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2010 Low Pressure Service Port Location

Thanks Oriole,
I went back and double checked for the port location after reading your note.
The port was behind a group of lines/hoses, right where it was supposed to be. Egg on my face, LOL. It is very easily accessible from the passenger side. Don't know why I didn't see it before. Thanks again. Chuck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Will you please elaborate on this statement?
You will need to use a vaccine rotary pump in order to extract the existing freon out of the Impala. Then after it successfully holds a negative -30psi for 30 min (with pump off), then continue to vacuum for 1hr. Then you can add more freon into the system. You will need to know how many ounces to add and to not overfill it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
A vacuum rotary pump*

You will need to use a vaccine rotary pump in order to extract the existing freon out of the Impala. Then after it successfully holds a negative -30psi for 30 min (with pump off), then continue to vacuum for 1hr. Then you can add more freon into the system. You will need to know how many ounces to add and to not overfill it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts