Impala Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have already swapped to LED's, does anyone remember what 2 wires you used for the load resistors in the turn signals? Attached is a picture of the rear wiring for reference.

Rear turn lamps have 4 wires (kinda hard to see both black wires in the picture)- red, orange, black and thin black.

Front amber turn lamps have 3 wires - green, yellow, and black.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
What year is your car? Strange for me what I see, From what I thought, Should be Yellow for turn and Red for stop...

Even if I thought I knew the color looking at my car to make this update. I would still test my Wires... Turn what ever side I am working on, Probe the light to make sure that the Power is going to the right wire. All to often I have seen cars that should have a Color for what ever reason the color stated isn't true. Could be because they happen to run out of the right wire and rather hold up production pick another wire and use in its place until new order comes in... I am not saying this is the case for your car. But I just looked over diagrams for 13-15 and can't seem to find anything for 12's.. They are Yellow and Red for turn and stop.

A wire diagram is good for having a good idea of where to work. Always double check your wire colors with test light.

The Load Resistor would go between the Turn Power wire and the Turns ground. It don't go inline

James

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 15 LS. I tried using the yellow/black for the front, and the orange/thin black for the rear to no avail.

I just put everything back the way it was and called it a night as it was getting cold and dark out.

·
Registered
486 Posts
For those that have already swapped to LED's, does anyone remember what 2 wires you used for the load resistors in the turn signals? Attached is a picture of the rear wiring for reference.

Rear turn lamps have 4 wires (kinda hard to see both black wires in the picture)- red, orange, black and thin black.

Front amber turn lamps have 3 wires - green, yellow, and black.
I am 90% sure I used thin black and red. There was another post about this just do not know where.

Edit: Found it
http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-9th-gen-discussion/1243961-hyper-flashing-2.html

Reactions: nickwingnut13

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well, Now knowing it is 2015, I am not sure your going to be able to do it... However Front should be Yellow for the Power side, if you were to trace it back to the connector it would connect to Light Green/Violet. Testing this with a Test light is Best. Also best to Test Right and Left blinkers not the 4 ways... Sorry I was wrong on the back blinkers I think it is Red. It has been a while since working on them and see many wires since....

There maybe an issue all together. I think the 2015 wiring for LED's are going to be little more complex then a Set of no name LED's (not saying you did no names) However the 2015 on has a Major Complex computer system. I am not sure your going to be able to get what you want done. If you do it may work for a short amount of time. However you may have battery issues. With your battery being drained by your BCM.

You maybe able to get past this by using a Diode and a New Relay for the blinkers, However this would also need to be on each side. Diode and relay will also help the system from back feeding into the rest of your lights in the car.

A DMM or a Test light is a must. You can get them really cheap at Home Deopt, or Wal-Mart. Not something I would use for working on much more then lights. Most are not Computer safe and may not want to do much with a Cheap test light. Computer safe Test light isn't even 100% safe. DMM/DVOM or a Scope is the best way to work on these Complex computer cars...

Wish you luck.
James

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, Now knowing it is 2015, I am not sure your going to be able to do it... However Front should be Yellow for the Power side, if you were to trace it back to the connector it would connect to Light Green/Violet. Testing this with a Test light is Best. Also best to Test Right and Left blinkers not the 4 ways... Sorry I was wrong on the back blinkers I think it is Red. It has been a while since working on them and see many wires since....

There maybe an issue all together. I think the 2015 wiring for LED's are going to be little more complex then a Set of no name LED's (not saying you did no names) However the 2015 on has a Major Complex computer system. I am not sure your going to be able to get what you want done. If you do it may work for a short amount of time. However you may have battery issues. With your battery being drained by your BCM.

You maybe able to get past this by using a Diode and a New Relay for the blinkers, However this would also need to be on each side. Diode and relay will also help the system from back feeding into the rest of your lights in the car.

A DMM or a Test light is a must. You can get them really cheap at Home Deopt, or Wal-Mart. Not something I would use for working on much more then lights. Most are not Computer safe and may not want to do much with a Cheap test light. Computer safe Test light isn't even 100% safe. DMM/DVOM or a Scope is the best way to work on these Complex computer cars...

Wish you luck.
James
Yeah I bought all diode dynamics LEDs like @The Guz did, there shouldn't be any issues with bulb quality. I bought the XP80's for the reverse lights and went with HP11's for the 4 turn signals.

For the reverse lights, I haven't seen them dimly lit after shutoff (I went in the trunk and checked after seeing the post from @dearmosd and a few others chiming in seeing the same thing). So we will see, only time will tell.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After having a frustrating night with some issues yesterday, I went back at it today and got everything working correctly. No dimly lit LEDs either! I ran into that last night after getting everything installed and got so pissed that I completely started from scratch today; I started with the fronts and then worked my way to the rear and everything went flawless, no issues

For those doing this in the future:

Yellow & Black wires for the front signals, and
Thin Black & Red wires for the rear signals.

·
Registered
78 Posts
After having a frustrating night with some issues yesterday, I went back at it today and got everything working correctly. No dimly lit LEDs either! I ran into that last night after getting everything installed and got so pissed that I completely started from scratch today; I started with the fronts and then worked my way to the rear and everything went flawless, no issues

For those doing this in the future:

Yellow & Black wires for the front signals, and
Thin Black & Red wires for the rear signals.
Thank you for the help with the load resistors, I installed LED bulbs for the front, rear and backup today. Just wanted to mention that the wires you mention for the rear are the wires on the tail light assy, not the harness in the car.

I did not know what a pain it is to change the rear bulbs, you need to remove part of the bumper to get the lights out! The fronts only took a 5 minutes, the back took me a hour. The end result is good, the one other thing I will mention is that I bought load resistors with extra long leads, they worked great.

Thanks again for the help with wiring them.

John

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No prob John, and yeah that trunk can be a bit of pain ripping apart to get to those lights. Glad everything worked out for you!

~Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts