Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was driving the other day I went to take off into traffic and noticed BOTH my tires were spinning and actually squealing, been trying to figure out if our stock 2.86 is LSD or posi.. Searched the threads and couldn't find one about my 06-13 sorry if it's stated somewhere and I didn't see it.. I'mma newb to the impala life

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
...been trying to figure out if our stock 2.86 is LSD or posi..
I’m pretty sure it’s neither. Just plain old differential.

Having the weight of the engine there helps with traction. After that, the traction control comes into play. It senses wheel spin on one side, then applies the brake on that wheel which diverts power to the other wheel resulting in it slipping a little bit.

At least, I think that’s the way it works 🙂

Doug

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have traction control in my car... At least I don't have a button nor do I get a low trac light 🤔 maybe my car is just an oddball

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I don't have traction control in my car... At least I don't have a button nor do I get a low trac light 🤔 maybe my car is just an oddball
Then it may be that there’s just too much traction. Maybe you could get one spinning a lot under wet conditions.

My dad had 73 Torino with 2.73 gears. The only time I could spin a tire was in the rain on the heavily seal coated parking lot at the Baptist church 🙂

Doug

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm doing this on dry pavement, hence the question of if it's limited slip or posi, I'm just a newb to newer vehicles, older (pre-95) I'm great with figuring out

·
Super Moderator
3,921 Posts
posi is short for "Positraction limited slip"
No idea what the FWD cars have in them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts