Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My job was "Eliminated" after the 2 weeks I worked, after the 11 weeks I was laid off.

I think they brought me back just say they I returned to work because they took the Free Govt Money, because they brought back the other guy I work with a week after me and canned us both, he was only back a week. But I digress.

I had to take in my '99 Silverado to get my toolboxes, and it was a real PITA that the lift supports on the topper would not hold the topper door up. I pledged to myself to tackle this problem of 22 year old gas struts not being any good anymore.

They are generic; nylon ends for ball ends on each end, and actually a very common size. I was able to read the shock body and break down the info, but I first had to find what that info meant.

I found this on Rock Auto's page doing a Google search. Lift Support Spec Guide Save it to your Documents RIGHT NOW. They are listed by Extended Length, Charge Pressure, and the size and type of ends, usually a ball, and for cars, generally 8MM or 10MM, or one of each.

In the guide, the important parts are the ways to state the "Charge", either in pounds or Newtons. Most are listed in Newtons, so you need to divide the Newtons by 4.45, and that is the pounds you look for when searching for the replacements. All the replacements are spec'd in pounds.

Another number on the body of the shock looks to me to be the month, date and last two digits of the year, in that order, so that is a helpful thing to look for if you didn't buy the car new. Take pictures of the side of the shock until you get one that is legible; it isn't as simple as you would think. Vary flash off or on, not auto, and put your other hand behind the shock body so the lens focuses correctly or the shock is just a blur. Your phone or camera will just focus on the tree in the background. :(

There are a couple good companies to choose from, and a good one of those is StrongArm, Hecho In USA. Stabilus is the most common, and they could be made anywhere but here, but the ones on the truck topper and the ones I found on my car are Hecho In Mexico. Most others are Chinese, or some other place Not Here. The Lift Support Depot has most brands, but their own Lift Support Depot brand is made in Turkey, and I ain't buying them.

StrongArm and Stabilus have really good brand loyalty.

I ordered the topper lift supports on Amazon, and they are due here tomorrow, $32.83 Prime for the pair.The PR suffix for StrongArm is "Pair", because you generally buy "each". Do not go to a jobber parts store because they are cheaper on line and generally delivered free. I got 2 StrongArms for the Impala trunk, for With Spoiler, for $38.88. I think they are 8MM ball on one end and 10MM at the other, just like the Hood, only the hood has a single shock, while the trunk has a pair.

I used the GM part number for the trunk set, and then tried to cross check it to what StrongArm, Amazon and Lift Support Depot told me for their part numbers. I found them cheapest with free shipping on Ebay.

What I found was a number of 6255 for StrongArm for the trunk, but we'll see if I did good when they arrive, don't hold me to that number until I check them out.

I haven't tracked down the number for the hood yet, but I'll get to it soon, because I have time now, compared to when I was working. 馃槙

Actually, both the hood and the trunk are still working effectively, but I'm the type of guy that has brake rotors and pads, wipers, belts, plugs, whatever, ready on my shelf for when I need them.

I hate to be in the situation of needing them, having to track down what I want, paying jobber store prices, waiting on them to arrive or the jobber store to get them in and go back to get them, when I can proactively find what I need and order it with free delivery for when I do need it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
The issue with the topper lift supports is that you can look up part numbers for vehicles, but you can't input specifics for generic parts of fiberglass truck topper, so I had to find out how to breakdown what I could read on the shock body.

I am very dubious of the info I find for parts numbers lookup for our cars, and something like lift supports are prone to severe misinformation due to the "sameness" of one part number's specs to another, they all mostly look alike, and just because some site that sells various manufacturers products says it will fit your car doesn't mean it will fit your car. This is especially true for our 2014-16 Impala Limiteds, because of the new body style, and the IT people that put spec charts together may not actually be car people, so a 2016 Impala is a 2016 Impala. I see this at parts counters, so it's to be expected for online fitment charts. Amazon is pretty bad for accuracy of fitment charts, but to be fair, they are using the sellers charts emulated as their own.

The names of some of these are really strange too. Look at Amazon and most of the offerings are stupid names on what look like identical Chinese crap.

The point I'm trying to make with starting this thread is learn what differentiates lift support parts numbers and go about finding your replacements as informed as you can be.

The trunk shocks I'm getting are for when it's winter and the low temps combined with a covering of snow and/or ice on the trunk make the gas charge insufficient to do an effective job of keeping he trunk raised while having our hands full attempting to put stuff in the trunk. Then you add in some gusty wind, and you can see the issue.

They change the gas charge amounts for whether or not you have a spoiler, so imagine 5 year old shocks in -5* temps with a coating of ice on the trunk that cannot be easily removed, and intermittent gusty winter winds.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I received the pair of StrongArm Lift Supports and they were correct for the Trunk.

The good news is that they fit perfectly and definitely have more charge than what I took off, which were about 5 years old.

The bad news is that although everything I read about StrongArm was that their products were Made In USA, they had no body writing, just a sticker with a bunch of different numbers than the part number that I ordered. The part number was included in one of the sticker numbers, but the bottom of the sticker read Made In China. The vinyl "envelope" container they came in, similar to what wipers used to come in 40 years ago, was pure English with the 6255 part number I ordered followed with Made In China on a sticker stuck on the back of the packaging.

The ones I took off said Made In Mexico.
StrongArm 6255 For Impala Trunk_Made In China.JPG

IMG_4827.JPG
IMG_4828.JPG

I guess nothing is sacred anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts