1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
296 Posts
I see this is one of those personal preference things. Might sound better in person but doesn't sound good on my computer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I see this is one of those personal preference things. Might sound better in person but doesn't sound good on my computer.
Yup.... I bought mine to keep it dead silent..... my noisier stuff has V8's in them lol. Once it idles down it sounds not too bad.... but that high idle start sounds like my 3 cylinder Yanmar John Deere tractor lol. But like you said it's a personal preference thing!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah the cold start pops and barks and crackles. But idles down nicely. And no videos dont do justice, but my videos are 1440p quality. It is probably way to loud for 99% of people. Just where i live, lot of loud cars, younger guys, no emissions or police that care about exhaust.

Rasp is unreal at 5k-7k. Removing the horshoe bend made the exhaust more rough and rumbly. Not as high pitched.

Honestly sounds like a straight piped lfx camaro. Been researching the camaro forums, for the most part most of the videos with aftermarket exhaust/straight piped sound like my car. Even though the camaros have tru duals.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Honesty is the best policy, it sounds like crap to me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yah the cold start pops and barks and crackles. But idles down nicely. And no videos dont do justice, but my videos are 1440p quality. It is probably way to loud for 99% of people. Just where i live, lot of loud cars, younger guys, no emissions or police that care about exhaust.

Rasp is unreal at 5k-7k. Removing the horshoe bend made the exhaust more rough and rumbly. Not as high pitched.

Honestly sounds like a straight piped lfx camaro. Been researching the camaro forums, for the most part most of the videos with aftermarket exhaust/straight piped sound like my car. Even though the camaros have tru duals.
I have an external recorder that i would use for my videos, does a better job of capturing the true sound. then i would just sync the sound to the video. i have never been able to capture good sound on my phone .

This is the one i used http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H4NPro

·
Registered
296 Posts
i used to do a lot of artist recording and mixing. They call me weekly asking me to place an order even tho i rarely still do it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honesty is the best policy, it sounds like crap to me.
Yessir. I didnt expect 1 person on these forums to enjoy my loud as fuck exhaust anyways, only the driver counts :). More or less just posting these videos, so others have an idea of what they want to do/not do.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yessir. I didnt expect 1 person on these forums to enjoy my loud as fuck exhaust anyways, only the driver counts :). More or less just posting these videos, so others have an idea of what they want to do/not do.
I think my biggest fear when messing with these cars is i cant stand the drone that usually comes with modifying the exhaust.

Here is what my 3.6 challenger sounded like. Actual car. Drone was nasty at times.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yessir. I didnt expect 1 person on these forums to enjoy my loud as fuck exhaust anyways, only the driver counts
. More or less just posting these videos, so others have an idea of what they want to do/not do.
I think my biggest fear when messing with these cars is i cant stand the drone that usually comes with modifying the exhaust.

Here is what my 3.6 challenger sounded like. Actual car. Drone was nasty at times.
Yah the drone is pretty bad. But i never drive quiet anyways only at night. Had a HUGE backfire today when driving really slow and the gears shifted. Gun shots.....
Just a deep constant droan. Going up hills when my cars cold is by far the worst and is inpossible to keep quiet. My setup aint very practical lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
personally id try adding a glass pack style muffler(s) somewhere mid exhaust. free flowing exhaust is cool and all but too free flowing has always seemed to cause tq loss. Ive also seen where these mufflers cut down on some of the drone. Also dynomax vt is a muffler that ive seen perform well and sound good on newer 3.6 motors. Im unsure of longterm reliability and im not a fan on introducing more moving parts to a car but its worth a shot assuming you get tired of your current setup. DynoMax® VT® Mufflers - DynoMax® Performance Exhaust

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yah i had a 2 foot resonator in there, helped a lot, wasn't loud enough for me though. Maybe few years ill be sick of it

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yea,there is a lot of trial and error. Longer/Larger body mufflers are less noisy. Smaller body for more sound. I may try that muffler above one day, probably somewhere in the medium size depending on how much space is available. I even thought about doing only one muffler with dual out which may actually sound better than 2 mufflers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Other than the price, any other reason you decided on straight piping vs Magnaflow 19023 exhaust system?

I've had a 14 Impala 2LT 3.6L 9gen for almost 3 years and now have 85k miles on it. A lot of rideshare miles on it. I've kept it stock but I want to modify or upgrade my exhaust. Then I want to start adding Overkill bolt ons and tune in February. I don't care what anyone in the forum says, your car sounds beast. That's what a man's car should sound like.

Any advise on straight piping as far as things you did that you later regretted doing or should of done sooner? Any reason you didn't change to 3" piping all the way through?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts