Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
can be great to see a hptuner log file here i want to compare to mine... does not matter hot or cold all time takes a 2seconds cranking to start the engine.

i feel and smell it 's working a bit rich... even can see black smoke when revving at idle up to 3500rpm.

i deleted cats and second o2 sensors, disabled them on ECM also.

used stock wiring harness/fuse box to make a standalone wiring.

Nice! How's everything synching up?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
can be great to see a hptuner log file here i want to compare to mine... does not matter hot or cold all time takes a 2seconds cranking to start the engine.

i feel and smell it 's working a bit rich... even can see black smoke when revving at idle up to 3500rpm.

i deleted cats and second o2 sensors, disabled them on ECM also.

used stock wiring harness/fuse box to make a standalone wiring.
I have plenty of HPTuner log files from my 2012. I used to log entire drives to monitor KR, etc. I also have some from cold start -> shut off. Any particular type of "scenario" you want to see (ambient temps, etc)?

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
very nice and thank you ... you monitored fuel pressure on your logs ?! one of them from start to shut off can be helpful

I have plenty of HPTuner log files from my 2012. I used to log entire drives to monitor KR, etc. I also have some from cold start -> shut off. Any particular type of "scenario" you want to see (ambient temps, etc)?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Now that is pretty darned cool that you got it swapped and running. Good job, and good luck with it.

Might give rise to some other projects for some for similar swaps that had previously been said to be not able to do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
sure it can be useful ... it seems you have negative timing like mine at idle, and i don't know why that much low timing.

my commanded AFR is 14.7 because deleted fuel flex sensor but still can smell and see black smoke

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
dear friends, i have an important question I hope someone can answer .. I removed fuel flex sensor, now ECM uses high or low octane spark table?!

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Did you disable the flex fuel sensor in the tune itself (set it to "Virtual" instead of "Sensor")? The setting is under Engine->Fuel->Open & Closed Loop, in the "Flex Fuel" section.

I'll get you a few logs very soon (sorry for the delay).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Did you disable the flex fuel sensor in the tune itself (set it to "Virtual" instead of "Sensor")? The setting is under Engine->Fuel->Open & Closed Loop, in the "Flex Fuel" section.

I'll get you a few logs very soon (sorry for the delay).

on that section, i disabled Flex Fuel and in fuel sensor tab hptuner mentioned if you disable fuel flex goes into virtual mode automatically.

maybe i need to set enable and then select virtual?!

i m getting black smoke and bad unburnt fuel smell.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
on that section, i disabled Flex Fuel and in fuel sensor tab hptuner mentioned if you disable fuel flex goes into virtual mode automatically.

maybe i need to set enable and then select virtual?!

i m getting black smoke and bad unburnt fuel smell.
Yeah, that's a good question.

When I read the "context sensitive" help in HPTuners, it says this for the "Fuel Sensor" field:

"Flex Fuel Sensor: If enabled, a fuel composition sensor is fitted. If disabled, virtual fuel composition calculations are used."

What's strange is that I noticed that even when "Flex Fuel" is set to "Disabled", the "Fuel Sensor" field is still "active". Usually, if a field is not applicable after disabling a "parent" setting, that field becomes "inactive". So I wonder if you need to set it to "Virtual" either way - regardless of whether "Flex Fuel" is "Enabled" or "Disabled".

Personally, I think I'd try setting "Flex Fuel" to "Enabled" and "Fuel Sensor" to "Virtual" first.

But I have to be honest here - I'm no mechanic or engine engineer and I'm kind of guessing here. :)

It's worth a shot though....

How are your fuel trims? Are they way out of whack (I would think they would be if it smells so rich).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
ill try that tomorrow first.

fuel trims look normal and usually, both LT and ST shows need to add around 10% .

i forgot to mention using 91 or 93 octane fuel and not regular, for now car has no cat at all and due fitment i deleted front and rear cats which bolts on the engine, but unburnt fuel smell is much more than a deleted cat car.

tried to lower idle RPM on 600rpm but I got no change and still at 680 as before, this can explain what u said about no change about flex fuel setting.

When I read the "context sensitive" help in HPTuners, it says this for the "Fuel Sensor" field:

"Flex Fuel Sensor: If enabled, a fuel composition sensor is fitted. If disabled, virtual fuel composition calculations are used."

What's strange is that I noticed that even when "Flex Fuel" is set to "Disabled", the "Fuel Sensor" field is still "active". Usually, if a field is not applicable after disabling a "parent" setting, that field becomes "inactive". So I wonder if you need to set it to "Virtual" either way - regardless of whether "Flex Fuel" is "Enabled" or "Disabled".

Personally, I think I'd try setting "Flex Fuel" to "Enabled" and "Fuel Sensor" to "Virtual" first.

But I have to be honest here - I'm no mechanic or engine engineer and I'm kind of guessing here. :)

How are your fuel trims? Are they way out of whack (I would think they would be if it smells so rich).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
well i did changes to fuel flex section and got no good result.

then i tried to fix it on open loop only and this helped to fix the black smoke issue and O2 sensors voltage are around 50mv at idle now but in closed loop all time it was playing from 50mv to 800mv.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
update ... because of some exhaust leaks switched tune to ONLY open loop for now and engine working much better.

this is a full gauge cluster car but for now voltage and fuel gauges working only.. looking for some way to active tach and speedo gauges and maybe later oil pressure and coolant temp gauges, well I have some idea for coolant temp gauge with stock temp sensor into a pipe and between engine to the radiator hose.

anyone with an idea for speedo and tach gauges please post it here except using a canbus to analog adapter like what lingenfelter has( a bit pricey).

about tach i though maybe could use signal from coils but idk how exactly... about speedo maybe can use signal from EBCM and again idk how.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
can you change idle rpm by your hptuner and tune file?!

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
can you change idle rpm by your hptuner and tune file?!
Absolutely. I actually increased my idle RPM slightly just to keep the A/C colder in the summer, etc... :) You have VERY detailed control over the idle speed (in park, in drive, depending on run-time, engine temp, etc, etc, etc). Tons of flexibility in controlling idle speed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
i know all details and how to use but can you let me know what version you are using and your tune file can be helpful here ...whatever i do i see no change in idle rpm

Absolutely. I actually increased my idle RPM slightly just to keep the A/C colder in the summer, etc... :) You have VERY detailed control over the idle speed (in park, in drive, depending on run-time, engine temp, etc, etc, etc). Tons of flexibility in controlling idle speed.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts