Impala Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
There are three different Impala suspension options FE1 FE2 & FE3. The SS and LTZ were FE3. The FE1 & FE2 LT & LS struts and springs will be squishy.

The other gotcha is the wheels. The LTZ has to be setup for 18" wheels to be a donor for your SS. The struts for the smaller 17" wheels will rub on the 18" SS and Optional 18" LTZ wheels and tires.
:eek:k3: Yup I know haha these are from a LTZ. the thing I find odd is they used the FE4 on the 04/05 SS but not 06+

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
:eek:k3: Yup I know haha these are from a LTZ. the thing I find odd is they used the FE4 on the 04/05 SS but not 06+
GM recycles option codes. FE4 on the Gen 7 doesn't mean what it does on the Gen 8 chassis.
I believe the Gen8 FE4 suspension were Bilstein struts with the exception of the Monte SS. The Monte got sportier springs than the Impala but the same struts. I don't believe the General used Bilsteins on the Gen7 SS or GTP. Stiffer struts and more aggressive springs and possibly stiffer sway bars than the FE3 cars... but still in-house not Bilstein struts.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Got quite a few things knocked off the to do list on this car.

First I replaced the front struts

Then when I was at it i replaced the front brakes

Then I replaced the valve cover gaskets as those were leaking

Then the bad news.

It is quite a bit rustier than I thought :crying So I don't think I will bother with rockers I will just keep driving it as is.

But I did order a new set of rear struts and brakes!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I got my rear struts and brakes in. Soo nice to not hear "clunk clunk" all the time now haha

Yes shes very rusty

I also put new sway bar end links in,figured might as well since I had to remove them anyway. Now it just needs a starter before winter.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Got alot accomplished on this car recently, I wet sanded alot of the scratches out and buffed the whole car along with a clay bar and a good wax.

Before wet sanding

After wet sanding

After buffing

There is one deeper scratch on the drivers side that I could't get out but over all it came out super nice!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I got the the new starter in, by far the easiest I've ever done. The old one had the common LS4 issue of not retracting.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
-4 New struts
-Brake pads and rotors all around
-New valve cover gaskets
-New starter
and an alignment. Shes ready for another winter!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This car is SOLD. I wanted something to build over winter and unfortunately this car just had too much rust. I picked up this 2001 Z28 LS1 Camaro.

T TOPS!

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Nice! 6 speed or auto?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts