Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I sold my 2014. After driving my beloved 04 SS for the past couple months I realized how much I absolutely love the 8th gens. So paying for a car that sat so much and I wasn't completely in love with didn't make sense. So I got this car and a silver 2005 SS (thread to come soon on that one :eek:k3:)

Now about this one, it is a 2006 SS with 140k I got it dirt dirt cheap. It needs engine mounts otherwise runs fantastic. Only problem is it smells like a ash tray I am working on cleaning that :lol:.

I already debadged the trunk and blacked out the front bowtie.

I'll get more pics when its properly detailed :beer:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I loved the sound of my 09. As far as the smoke smell, there are places that will put your whole vehicle in an ionization chamber, it's the only thing that I have ever found that actually works. A lot of fire restoration places have things like that. You don't want to just try to mask it with another fruity smell.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't help myself. I did a muffler delete yesterday It's actually not obnoxious with the resonator still in there.

ttps://youtu.be/cW8KMQQx-n4

I also replaced all the engine mounts as they were junk

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got her all cleaned up yesterday. Cleans up pretty nice shes a solid 5ft car :lol:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the snow tires on today. Next is headlight housings and HIDs

Luckily the winter tires I bought for my 14' happen to be the exact same size as the tires on this cars stock wheels.

I scored a super nice set of Hankook winter tires off of Craiglist. I always look mid summer people let them go cheap because I'm uselly the only one calling :lol:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gave the interior a much much needed deeep clean yesterday. I scrubbed everything with dawn dish soap. Then conditioned the leather so it didn't dry out from the soap.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Change your cabin air filter and run Evaporator Cleaner through the AC evaporator.
That'll help with the tobacco odor in the HAVC system.

You may have to pull the carpet and the headliner and wash the bare metal to clear the bulk of it out of the car.
Don't forget about the trunk liner and hard surfaces.

I've used four ozone generators running in shock mode for 12hours in the summer sun to clear the musty moldy smell leftover from leaking barn door seals on a 2001 Suburban.
I ran the engine for several hours with the heat on high and a 10K resistor in place of the outdoor temp sensor.
https://www.amazon.com/Ozone-Power-OP5000-Commercial-Generator/dp/B012OW48M2

The carpet and Jute padding was out of the rig and the seats and all the plastics were inside it.

I replaced the heater core (leaking) and cleaned the evaporator core and heater box and plastic tubes with evaporator cleaner before I hit it with ozone.

I replaced the carpet with new after the ozone treatment and I installed new Jute in place of all of the Jute padding.

There were occasional mild whiffs of Cigar when the dash got hot but no musty nasty odor and no strong tobacco odor or any odor most of the time now.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have headlight housings, HID headlight bulbs, HID Fog lights and a door "SS" emblem coming.

Here is the look I am going for.

·
Registered
753 Posts
140K, how's the transmission shift? Any Wonky shifting yet?

The idea sounds crazy to me, but I've been eyeing the 8th gen SS's lately too. Either that or a 2012+ model. I just love the v8 sound and torque, can't beat it lol. I love driving my mustang for that fact alone!

Edit:
And when you say dirt cheap, did you get it for less than 5K? All the ones I've been looking at were around 6-8K of course depending on mileage in which the ones that were closer to 8K had under 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
140K, how's the transmission shift? Any Wonky shifting yet?

The idea sounds crazy to me, but I've been eyeing the 8th gen SS's lately too. Either that or a 2012+ model. I just love the v8 sound and torque, can't beat it lol. I love driving my mustang for that fact alone!

Edit:
And when you say dirt cheap, did you get it for less than 5K? All the ones I've been looking at were around 6-8K of course depending on mileage in which the ones that were closer to 8K had under 100,000 miles.
It shifts great that was my one concern and the fluid does not look or smell burnt. I work at a dealership so sometimes I come across great deals like this one. It needed engine mounts and it has a airbag light on (bad passenger module or connection have yet to check) I paid $1,000 for it I was really looking for another Indy 04 but couldn't pass this up.

·
Registered
753 Posts
It shifts great that was my one concern and the fluid does not look or smell burnt. I work at a dealership so sometimes I come across great deals like this one. It needed engine mounts and it has a airbag light on (bad passenger module or connection have yet to check) I paid $1,000 for it I was really looking for another Indy 04 but couldn't pass this up.
Holy S%*!

That's one hell of a deal, I would not have passed that up either, could even flip it and triple your money off of that. :beer:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
definitely try some die electric grease on the yellow connectors below the front seats. it fixed my airbag light and was pretty much a free fix for a little effort.seems to be a fairly common issue on these. they just lose contact for some reason.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
definitely try some die electric grease on the yellow connectors below the front seats. it fixed my airbag light and was pretty much a free fix for a little effort.seems to be a fairly common issue on these. they just lose contact for some reason.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
There's a recall for the passenger presence sensor wiring on at least the 09 & 10 Impala.

The defect: the front passenger seat frame may contact and damage the wires of the passenger presence sensor module.

The hazards: if the wires are damaged, the passenger presence sensory system may fail to recognize that the passenger seat is occupied, disabling the air bag. Damage may also cause the air bag fuse to short resulting in a loss of all air bags and seat belt pretensions. Both conditions increase the risk of injury during a crash.

Affected vehicles: 2009-2010 Chevrolet Impala manufactured April 25, 2008 – February 16, 2010.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's a recall for the passenger presence sensor wiring on at least the 09 & 10 Impala.

The defect: the front passenger seat frame may contact and damage the wires of the passenger presence sensor module.

The hazards: if the wires are damaged, the passenger presence sensory system may fail to recognize that the passenger seat is occupied, disabling the air bag. Damage may also cause the air bag fuse to short resulting in a loss of all air bags and seat belt pretensions. Both conditions increase the risk of injury during a crash.

Affected vehicles: 2009-2010 Chevrolet Impala manufactured April 25, 2008 – February 16, 2010.
Thank you very much for that info I will look into that!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately starting to snow here in MN :lamende:. But I did order bigger exhaust tips.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts