Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using the left foot to brake? If so, what is your experience with? Its a good technique that helps reaction time and control in corners.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Problem is that you're not used to applying pressure with your left foot which can lead to unexpectedly braking too hard. Also, if you're hovering the brake pedal with your left foot you may actually be resting on it and applying the brakes without noticing.

I've also seen the argument that during a crash you smash your left foot instinctively to the floor to brace for an impact. If you're left foot braking (or hovering over it) you may, unintentionally, press both the gas with the right foot and brakes with the left foot as you brace for an impact.

I drive for a living and I don't see any benefits that would be worth "relearning" to brake. I doubt left foot braking would save me from a crash because I'd be saving what, half a second? Not to mention it would feel awkward as hell. Probably spend too much time consciously thinking about it and it may become a distraction.

What you may want to try is kind of resting your foot half on the gas pedal at an angle. This is mainly for when using cruise control. I'll try to explain what I do as best as I can. By the way, I transport patients and it's 80% interstate driving around Illinois, but mainly Chicago area.

The arch of my foot will be on the lower part of the gas pedal at an angle so the right edge of my foot is sort of bladed/rolled on it while my toes and upper foot are hovering over the bottom/side of the brake pedal. This does three things for me. 1. Allows me to accelerate if need be without much effort. 2. Allows me to brake slightly. If a hard brake is needed, I simply apply the brake and begin to move/slide the rest of my foot. 3. Lets you move your foot around a bit to alleviate pain or prevent it from falling asleep. If none of that makes sense I might have to snap a picture haha.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I've never used my left foot for breaking. One-footed driver here! :)

The ONLY time I might use my left foot is if I'm worried about rolling back on a take off on a super-steep hill or something (wouldn't want to roll back into the car behind me when taking off from a stop). But that is VERY rare.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info. Ran into the same issues when started out. I got use to it now tho and i like it. I never rest my foot on the pedal tho. It took me a couple of days to get pressure right but I'm good now. Its amazing how you can train your mind if you give a little effort. It's good when you in heavy traffic and thats where i mostly practiced it. Now i brake left foot on instant without hovering over the pedal. When I'm parking i go back to one foot tho. I can change lanes smoother too in heavy traffic too. Ppl down here are sometimes rude as hell and don't wanna share the road.

·
Go Get It
15,060 Posts
Left foot is the clutch foot :devil:

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
You can train yourself for left foot but better to use only one unless you have a clutch.
That said I did use left foot braking when I mess up my right foot really bad, could use right for gas, hurt like hell but could not brake with the right, so I used the left.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Seems to me it would feel awkward and uncomfortable to keep my left foot on the right side of the floorboard where the brake is. My mom drives like that but only because that's the way she learned 50 years ago. I've tried like hell to get her to stop because she goes through brake pads once a year and I get tired of changing them!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I leave my foot resting on the floorboard on the left side of the brake. I never rest it on the brake at all. I really like it tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts