Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall! i replaced all my turn signlas with leds bulbs in my 2003.

and in the whole process (of also doin the quad taillight mod) i noticed that the turn/brake signal wire only sends ~9v to the bulb opposed to 12v.

and with the bulbs i used (that i cannot change at this point) the difference between running light and turn/brake light is not very noticeable at all.

so my question is. is there a way to turn up the voltage? id have to guess no but i could be wrong. so the other thing i was thinkin was to wire n a couple 12v relays. one for each side. but what relays flip with a 9v signal?

·
I eat brains... gimme brains!
658 Posts
The led bulbs put out less voltage, but it should be brighter than stock.. are you talking about the fronts and your 4 rear running lamps you have, did you switch all 6 to led?

Did you use relays to splice the extra sockets an bulbs to the stock brake/running/turn lamps?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes all bulbs r leds. theyre actauly the same brand all the way around. just amber in front and red in the back. the front ones are noticeable but i think thats just because u can c the bulbs.

but no they r not brighter than stock in this case. i think its just because of the 9v signal. at 1st i thought it was because i wired in resistors to stop hyper flashing and they were droppin the voltage. but its 9v before and after the resistor. i know leds r typically brighter. but ya not in this case. the difference between running and signal is VERY minute. :bang:

but i just figured out with a volt checker and another person what wires matched up with what and got 2 bulb sockets.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice ram bar on your car btw. i realy want one.

also i hooked a bulb up to a 12v source while it was in the socket. and sent 12v to it constant. and then touched the signal wire to the 12v source and it was a big difference.

·
658 Posts
On my quad tails, I have stock bulbs in the corners, LEDs in the middle and 2 sequencial sockets in between... the LEDs are the same brightness as my stock bulbs, I jus added them in to get hyperflashing to make my sequencials slow down because of the 1/2 hyperflash..

You may have too much low voltage tied together in the back.. but did you add 3 relays connecting the new harness to your stock harness, or did you just splice them in to your stock harness? I have a project box connecting the relays, but I've known others that spliced them in, but the horror of frying the stock harness was enough for me to buy the box and 3 relays

·
658 Posts
The push bar was only supposed to be temporary but I ended up loving the look (an the fact that people don't drive like assholes around me) but I have recently gotten an SS front bumper, so that tied with my SS spoiler and covers gives my car a real unique look..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very nice! im really want to pic one of those up.

i just spliced into the stock wire and did it all that way. i think im just goin to wire in some relays. ive looked into it and some switch at ~7.5v. so i think ill just do that. hopefully when i eventually do my sequentials itll send 12v to every wire and no 9v bs anywhere.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i think i figured it out. this will be sort of jerry rigged but it will work!:eek:k3:

im goin to use a relay to make the signal wire 12v.

but at the same time im goin to drop the running light voltage down to 9v. or some lower voltage. my question to all u intelligent people is. how do i drop voltage across a line? a resistor? regulator?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts