Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if these would fit into the reverse light housings on an 04? Also does anyone have any experience with these or something like them?

I would like to get more light when backing up. This past weekend I could not see anything when I was trying to back up in the rain at night. I would be open to suggests on a substitute. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You wouldn't happen to have any photos of them in action at night time would you?

I was hoping to get something from Amazon just for the simple fact that I have a gift card, but I want to get something to be happy with the first time. Buy once... cry once...

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
432 Posts
$40 for just 2 tiny little bulbs! :dunno:

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
While $40 seems like a lot for those bulbs, they contain an additional 8 LEDs per bulb over the $20 ones that OP posted.

With reverse light LEDs, you really need to spend the money to get the right ones. With as small as the reverse light reflector is on the 7th gen, even bright bulbs can be hard to see. Add tint, and you're basically blind backing up. I am currently running some cheap t10 bulbs until I can afford to get some like the ones mixed posted

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah, I can understand that. But with the price tag on those, I'm sure there is something way better to use or make that will get you better results. :beer:

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
Depending on where you get them, reverse light HID kits can be had for ~$40 but I plan to stick with LEDs. I haven't done the research yet on which one's I will buy, but I am definitely going to be considering all alternatives.

Edit: High quality LEDs, especially projector LEDs (which are really needed for this application) are pricey. There's no real getting around that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spend a lot of time in my car so I really like high quality items to keep me happy. After all... its only money...

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
CREED LED, can't remember where I got it and I think they were $40:

(Click to play)

Reactions: MixedImpala04

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
For the price of those led bulbs you'd be better off going with an HID reverse kit.

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
I have onky seen the hid reverse lights from diode dynamics.and.they are 89.00 so yeah no thanks. Pkus where would u mount the ballast? And tske the time for them to warm up?? No thanks.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Never dealt with hid's so IDK about the warm up time. If you plan to go with led's I would then suggest high power (5w or close) CREE "projectors". Way more efficient and brighter than most smd bulbs you see.

OP: Why are you wanting brighter reverse lights? My cheap AGT license plate lights are dang near bright enough to be reverse lights. I could see the concern if you have dark tint but, otherwise I would stick with regular halogens. Halogens are more visible during daylight (really should be the concern with reverse lights) than any led's are unless you go with a different color. And really how long are you in reverse? Maybe 2min tops each day?

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
LEDs are actually easier to see from outside the car than halogens, even if they don't project as far. The "pure white" light from LEDs stands out a lot more than the yellowish hue of the halogen bulbs, making it easier for pedestrians and other drivers to see that you are in reverse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for the pictures. I will probably order up a set this weekend after I get some other items installed in the car.

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
The ones i posted are worth every penny. I have pics of the bulbs themselves also. The fact that it uses two 5 watt cree leds and like 8 samsung leds on the sides sre awesome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts