Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have LED in mine. I didn't experience the battery draining because I noticed a problem before the battery became an issue. The issue was that my backup lights are never off and always had a faint glow even with the ignition off and my interior auto-dimming mirror no longer worked because the computer thought the transmission was in reverse all the time.

I currently have Sylvania Zevo LED and I managed to find plug&play resistors which I installed and now and no longer have any issues.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
How did you come to the conclusion that LED backup bulbs are draining your battery?
It's not the LEDs directly draining the battery. The problem is that the LED don't completely shut off which prevents the BCM from sleeping. It's actually the BCM draining the battery because of the low current flow to the LEDs.

With a load resistor on the backup lights the BCM can properly control the LEDs and turn them off when they need to be off.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
It's not the LEDs directly draining the battery. The problem is that the LED don't completely shut off which prevents the BCM from sleeping. It's actually the BCM draining the battery because of the low current flow to the LEDs.

With a load resistor on the backup lights the BCM can properly control the LEDs and turn them off when they need to be off.
I saw a schematic a few years ago - danged if I've been able to find it again - and, IIRC, it showed a hookup wherein the low side of the filament was being switched (to ground, to turn on the light). When the light was off, the negative side of the filament would be at +12V.

Another signal came off the low side of the filament, and went elsewhere, presumably back to the computer (where a high would indicate light off).

With an LED in place of the incandescent filament, the voltage drop across the LED, when off, could be different which might cause the computer to misinterpret the status of the light, which in turn might cause the computer to never go into standby, its lowest current draw level.

If I ever find the drawing again, I'll tag it for later reference. (And study it to better understand why it was connected that way.)

Anyway, the point is, with this extra parasitic load designed into the circuit path, I can sort of see the LEDs causing the computer to stay awake thereby running down the battery.

Doug

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is the 7440 load resistors. The reviews seem to claim they needed to be modified to fit but they are plug&play for me. They were very tight and I almost thought they sent me the wrong item but I found it just needs a little extra force to lock in.
Very nice! Where did you mount the resistor itself? I'm sure they can get pretty hot.

I haven't looked back there in a couple years to remember what it looks like with the carpet pulled back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used some clear 3M VHB tape and stuck it to the body next to the light.

That would make me extremely nervous.

I mounted each of mine to flat metal panels with 3mm screws and lock nuts and they can get REALLY hot. I mounted them where absolutely nothing can ever touch them.

I'd be worried your two sided tape would come loose, the resistor would make contact with something, and catch fire!

·
Registered
103 Posts
That would make me extremely nervous.

I mounted each of mine to flat metal panels with 3mm screws and lock nuts and they can get REALLY hot. I mounted them where absolutely nothing can ever touch them.

I'd be worried your two sided tape would come loose, the resistor would make contact with something, and catch fire!
It has not been a problem even on 100°+ days .
The 3M stuff I used actually seems to hold stronger when it gets warm.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just updating a thread in LED lights.

Now, i changed all my rears to LED(red) for last 5 months or so(JDM Astar). This weekend i had an issue and the passenger side brake/signal light went out, it would only function as brake/turn signal. No running light at night. I want sure if the bulb was defective as it would only work intermittently. I usually order a few extra bulbs for things like this, so i changed both the resistor AND bulb. Seems to be working fine for now! If the problems occurs in the same bulb, I'm not quite sure what could be the problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just updating a thread in LED lights.

Now, i changed all my rears to LED(red) for last 5 months or so(JDM Astar). This weekend i had an issue and the passenger side brake/signal light went out, it would only function as brake/turn signal. No running light at night. I want sure if the bulb was defective as it would only work intermittently. I usually order a few extra bulbs for things like this, so i changed both the resistor AND bulb. Seems to be working fine for now! If the problems occurs in the same bulb, I'm not quite sure what could be the problem.
do you use 21Ohm or 50 Ohm resistors?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have LED in mine. I didn't experience the battery draining because I noticed a problem before the battery became an issue. The issue was that my backup lights are never off and always had a faint glow even with the ignition off and my interior auto-dimming mirror no longer worked because the computer thought the transmission was in reverse all the time.

I currently have Sylvania Zevo LED and I managed to find plug&play resistors which I installed and now and no longer have any issues.

Hey,

What year is your impala? Mine is the 2019 premier. I have the dim light issue on issue when car is off. Then also my back up camera stays on when driving. What kind of resistor did you get? Were they plug and play? Or did have to manually install them on your own?

Thanks. All help will be appreciated

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey,

What year is your impala? Mine is the 2019 premier. I have the dim light issue on issue when car is off. Then also my back up camera stays on when driving. What kind of resistor did you get? Were they plug and play? Or did have to manually install them on your own?

Thanks. All help will be appreciated
My car is a 2014 and as I said, I found plug & play resistors which solved the problem and has been working well ever since.
Just do a search for 7440 plug & play load resistors. 7440 will have a single resistor per side. 7443 has 2 resistors per side and will work, it's unnecessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried led backup lights on my 2020 LT. problem is the backup camera wouldn't turn off even in "D" (drive) so I removed them and sent them back. The electronics are too touchy to mess with. Also tried LEDs for the headlights and they'd come on about half the time plus the resistors wouldn't fit in the plastic screw off/on covers so they were returned also. Big waste of time.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The Morimoto LED bulbs I put in the headlights of our 15 Impala 2LT needed an anti flicker harness because of them also functioning as DRL. Without the harness they would have only 1 headlight come on as DRLs at times. When the headlights were on they functioned normally.
Same thing with my 2015 Sierra.
I never tried putting back up LED bulbs in the Impala but I have them on my Sierra and they cause no issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced the bulbs on my taillights with LEDs. At first, the bulbs shone brightly enough. However, I noticed that over time the light bulbs began to dim. Then I came up with a good idea. I left an LED light bulb there and added an LED strip around it. I bought a ribbon with LEDs on Best RGB Smart Strip Lights | Smart LED Strip | LED Strip Lights. I wrapped one row of tape around the perimeter of the two taillights, and the light turned out to be very bright and full in them. I think now everyone will see my light in fog or darkness. I'm even thinking of doing it in the front headlights of the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts