Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tasked myself with swapping my cloth seats for leather ones, however in the process I have had to work with two threads on here which gave me some insight but were very wrong in information, so I am going to give the ultiamte write up for anyone wanting to do this in the future.

1. Pick the right seats.

Front Seats:

If your car is a 2009+, you cannot pull seats from a 2006-2008. This is due to the 2009+ models having in seat airbags. If you do swap with a different model, your service airbag light will come on and annoy you.

If your car is a 2006-2008, you cannot pull seats from a 2009+. This is due to the 2009+ models having in seat airbags. If you do swap with a different model, your service airbag light will come on and annoy you.

Rear Seats:

All rear seats are interchanageable 2006-2012, 2013-2016 (limited), but note that there are two versions: foldable and positioned. The foldable are more sought after as they fold down to allow bigger items to be stored in the trunk. These seats come in 2007-2009, and 2012+ models.

2. Install the seats:

Front seats remove with two bolts near the rear of the seat then you slide the seat backward and up. There are a bund of qquick disconnect wires that you must undo, as well as disconnecting the seat belt from the seat.

Rear seats remove in two pieces, the bottom is only tabbed in and held by two pull tabs under the bottom bench. The top is held on by 4 18MM botls, and one 7MM bolt. onece all are remove the seat slides up and out.

Do the reverse for install.

3. Getting it to work:

If you are ina 2012+ model, it is all plug and play. They BCM should already be programmed for the heated seats as well.

2006-2011 models, you will need to splice your wiring to allow power to the passenge front seat. After splicing you will have to add a switch and run power and ground to switch for the heated seats to work (sorry non LFX models, I don't know why they didnt just have your BCM programmed :( ).

After that you now have the heated seats, leather, and your ride will look load better!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have to splice for the driver seat?

on 2009+ impalas everything is plug and play. Just swap your 2009+ leather seats in and add the heated seat controller and you're in business.

on 2006-2008 you will need to splice the passenger into the driver side for passenger seat power. heated seats will not work due to BCM programming

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for this! I loathe that my 16' Limited does not have folding rear seats! This is a simple model that I hadn't thought of. Question though: if the passenger seat is completely manual, on the 16, does an electrical connection still exist for the swap?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for this! I loathe that my 16' Limited does not have folding rear seats! This is a simple model that I hadn't thought of. Question though: if the passenger seat is completely manual, on the 16, does an electrical connection still exist for the swap?
Correction: "mod"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey sorry for the late reply!

YES, if you have a manual passenger seat, plugging in a powered seat will be plug and play! The new seat will be powered!

Just make sure the powered seat is from a 2009 or newer car because of the airbags.

I think that was one of the best upgrades when doing mine besides the heated seats

·
Registered
298 Posts
Our '08 LT had a dual power split bench seat w/leather as well heated on both sides. The LTZ models had dual power & heat but with buckets & console only.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did they ever make a power passenger seat? I thought all passenger seats were manual?
So whats interesting is there is a power and non power seat variant in existence. If you find the right LTZ you can find a power seat. It is nice because if you dont have a power seat, the passenger power seat swap is three bolts and plug and play

·
Registered
56 Posts
Very informative write up, as I did not know the front seats could not be interchanged from before 2009 and I also did not know that the foldable seats were only made in certain years; however, they were available in 2006 models as I own a 2006 ltz and my rear seats are foldable. I hope your leather swap turned out nice! My impala is the first car I’ve had with leather and I personally will not ever get a car with cloth seats again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quick question,

In a 2013 LT that didn’t have heated seats or leather, would I also have to change the HVAC controls to the ones with the Heated seat controls to use this feature?

Thanks for the great informative post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts