Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have kind of a weird question. I was looking over my fluids in my car today and saw that the coolant was low so I went to buy some and filled it up. I filled it all the way to the top (i'm sure I wasn't suppose to do that) and didn't spill any. After filling it I saw some come out of the bottom of the tank. Not a lot just maybe 2 tablespoons. After that it was fine. No more leaking. It never done that before and hasn't done that again so I was wondering if that's normal or something I need to get checked. I don't know much about cars, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What year and model?

Some like mine have the radiator cap on the surge/overflow tank. There is an overflow tube so if you put too much in, the excess runs out.

Or, the overflow has a crack in the tank somewhere.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Hi Sasham,

Jayman is correct -- it would be great if you let the community know the model year on your Impala when you get the opportunity to post again! While I can't provide much in the way of DIY advice, I am happy to contact your dealer on your behalf if you decide to involve your Chevrolet dealer at any point. Please feel free to send me a private message through the forum for further assistance!

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
So you filled the overflow tank to the top? Yeah you shouldn't do that. It won't cause any harm but, it will overflow when the radiator releases pressure. There should be a "cold" and "warm/hot" mark on the tank. Fill to appropriate mark. Losing a small amount isn't something to worry about but, just keep an eye on it and your temperature gauge :eek:k3:

Reactions: Sasham8403

·
Registered
222 Posts
One thing I like to do is get the surge tank level exactly where I want it cold (Eg, at the proper level indicated on the surge tank) then use a sharpie to mark that level. Over time I can tell if I have a leak, no matter how minor

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
One thing I like to do is get the surge tank level exactly where I want it cold (Eg, at the proper level indicated on the surge tank) then use a sharpie to mark that level. Over time I can tell if I have a leak, no matter how minor
This is true as long as your radiator is full and radiator cap is working correctly to release pressure.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This is true as long as your radiator is full and radiator cap is working correctly to release pressure.
The radiator cap is on my surge tank, not the radiator. If the level went low in the rad, the surge tank would be empty

·
Registered
222 Posts
True, if the level got that low you would have to properly bleed the air out. Otherwise a guaranteed overheat condition

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
True, if the level got that low you would have to properly bleed the air out. Otherwise a guaranteed overheat condition
The overflow tank was low and not the radiator. No air would get in then :eek:k3:

Sorry didn't realize 2012's don't have a radiator cap.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This is a photo of the surge tank on my 3.6. You would check coolant level at the tank and remove the cap on the tank to add coolant.

If you had a serious leak, or had a hose off, there could be a lot of air bleeding involved.

Attachments

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Like stated before: As long as the overflow tank didn't go empty, there should not be any air introduced to the cooling system. Even so, it's easily flushed out by using the vent valve (when T-stat opens (key information)). Or..

1. Start car with radiator cap OFF
2. Wait until engine warms up (180-190deg F) for T-stat to open
3. Squeeze radiator hoses with both hands to work the air out
4. Refill radiator and overflow tank as nexessary
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until air is gone
6. Put radiator cap back on
7. Take for a quick drive
8. Shut car off and wait for radiator cap to cool off
9. check radiator and overflow tank again

Don't worry about Coolant overflowing the radiator when squeezing the hoses!! Sure catching it in a pan is the "environmental safe" way but, who does that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts