Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Chevy Impala LT with around 130k miles. Everything has been running great but the other night I noticed smoke coming out of the hood and I immediately pulled over and noticed my coolant was low. At home I poured in nearly a full gallon and noticed a major drip. Any idea on what part this would be and how serious? I also put a photo of what the spray looked like after I pulled over. Many thanks in advance.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tire Gadget Motor vehicle Wrist Auto part
Hood Car Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Registered
2,526 Posts
2013 Chevy Impala LT with around 130k miles. Everything has been running great but the other night I noticed smoke coming out of the hood and I immediately pulled over and noticed my coolant was low. At home I poured in nearly a full gallon and noticed a major drip. Any idea on what part this would be and how serious? I also put a photo of what the spray looked like after I pulled over. Many thanks in advance.
View attachment 167081 View attachment 167083 View attachment 167082

Remove the engine cover - it is held on with one Torx bolt.

This will enable you to determine what is leaking. Losing that much engine coolant can damage the engine if it is driven with a low coolant level. The cover is used for sound reduction and engine dress-up. Leaving it off during inspection and repair (and test driving after repair) will not harm anything.

The leaking coolant can also damage nearby components, especially electrical ones. The area adjacent to the leak must be inspected and cleaned.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the engine cover - it is held on with one Torx bolt.

This will enable you to determine what is leaking. Losing that much engine coolant can damage the engine if it is driven with a low coolant level. The cover is used for sound reduction and engine dress-up. Leaving it off during inspection and repair (and test driving after repair) will not harm anything.

The leaking coolant can also damage nearby components, especially electrical ones. The area adjacent to the leak must be inspected and cleaned.
Thank you for your reply. I figured out it's just that line running from the coolant tank. The line is split completely in half.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts